Can I Offe an optional experience to guests without signing up for AirBnB Experiences program?

Ginny40
Level 2
Lexington, KY

Can I Offe an optional experience to guests without signing up for AirBnB Experiences program?

I offer a room with attached bath on my small horse farm in Lexington, KY.  One thing I would like to offer - not to the general public but just to guests - is a beginner riding lesson or beginner "Getting to Know Horses" session.  It would be for a fee.  Is this allowable?  I can't find this situation references except how to sign up for an Experience -- which I don't want to do since I don't want it offered to the general public.  (I don't have the time to handle a lot of requests).

4 Replies 4

Yes, you can.  Once a guest has booked with you, @Ginny40, you can send them the full details and even charge through Airbnb.  On your listing you can say something like: "beginning rider lessons offered to guests for a small fee - please ask" or something like that to generate interest in potential guests and provide you with a value-add to your listing.  HOWEVER, you will NOT be covered by Airbnb with a value-added item like this should someone get hurt.  You will need to carry your own insurances and such to protect you from an injury to a guest.  

Ginny40
Level 2
Lexington, KY

That is good news, and yes I can have my own homeowner's policy cover me for the activity.    But how do I bill through AirBnB, since the reservation would already be posted and I probably would not know until they arrive that they want the riding lessons?

You use the Resolution Center to bill guests for any value-add services.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ginny40 

Hi Ginny, you can offer anything you like in your listing description! There may not be an applicable charging mechanism within the Airbnb booking program but, you can request whatever you charge through the resolution centre and, if the guest approves the charge it just happens....you will be paid!

My only word of caution would be, make sure your public liability insurance coverage will cover your specific situation!!! Many....or should I say MOST insurance companies will cover liability claims that arise from ' accidents'  on their insured  property but, a horse riding experience you are promoting can be seen as a part of a commercial contact being part of the hosting agreement and would fall under the same category as a bicycle hire company and require commercial insurance coverage, not domestic in the event of a claim! You will be covered for family and friends, but not paying guests!

Good idea Ginny, but just make sure of your insurance coverage.

Cheers.....Rob