Can I ask a guest for access to the apartment they are renting so I can show it to potential guest?

Can I ask a guest for access to the apartment they are renting so I can show it to potential guest?

I have a potential guest whose employer lives in the area. They want to scout out the apartment for their employee. Can I ask my current guest for access for this purpose? Thanks in advance for your help!

14 Replies 14
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cynthia100

Yes of course you can - but just be very careful about how you do it and when. Remember they are living there - so think about how you would like to be asked the same question. You might want to ask them to suggest a time that would suit them best (when they are out, or when they are in). Most guests would understand - as long as its not a regular occurrence.

Okay, thank you! Yes, I would only do this if the potential guest was very serious. And perhaps only one showing ever per guest (It's a rare request anyway)...I certainly don't want to be intrusive.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Cynthia100 I would not do that, thay can see photos in Airbnb gallery 

Thank you! Another host just said it could be done, but with care. I guess that means there is no set protocol for AirBnB! 

I use a variety of advertising platforms, and during our busiest time of year it is not unusual for someone to come knocking on doors looking for "The Manager"  and asking about making a reservation for "Next Year".  They invariably want to look at an apartment, and I smile and tell them that we're full, and we have nothing to show them.  "Well that's ok... we won't take too much time... we just want to look.... can you please show us an apartment while we're here?"  and I have to explain once again that we're full.  I have nothing to show them. And that I respect the privacy of our current guests. As they stare blankly I continue to explain that if we have a vacancy and they book with us "Next Year" they won't find me knocking on their door and asking to parade a group of potential guests through their apartment... I'm just not that kind of person... I value my current guests privacy more than I value a potential reservation.

@Mark26@Cynthia100, well stated, Mark. I would feel it was a major violation of my privacy. I only reluctantly enter my guest's space myself, for god reason, and if at all possible I let them know beforehand that I'll need to enter the unit.

If you were staying in a hotel, how would you feel if the hotel owner brought people through your room while you were a guest there?

Let the potential employers wait until there are no guests there and have them come by then when the place is empty. That would be my advice.

That's helpful, Mark. We used to rent the place as an apartment year-round, so I'm accustomed to asking my renters if I can show the place. However, AirBnb feels more like a hotel, and that comes with a different set of assumptions. I'd love to hear what other hosts do in this situation. It's true that if a hotel manager wanted to show my hotel room, I'd be put-off by that!

I would not show the unit when another guest is there. The pictures of your listing should tell all that needs to be told about your place. If you feel you need to add more pictures, do so.

Sharion0
Level 9
Santa Rosa, CA

I'm with most of the hosts who recommend not asking. I woudn't appreciate my privacy being invaded if I was a gues. Also, you put them in a bad position, not knowing what to say:) Just my thoughts. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Well,  I am presented with this dilemna all the time; a media outlet (from Airbnb to you name it) needs to photographs my place for some story or ad campaign, and I am booked constantly with very rare non-booked days. So, being that 'necessity' is the mother of invention, I offer my guests a fully-paid outing, they are usually thrilled to go and the 'medians' do their thing. Just a thought, it may give you an idea.

(Disclaimer: I can sell ice to an eskimo.) LoL

Steph12
Level 3
SeaTac, WA

When I have guests move into the guest room, I give them a "tour" of the room....old house, odd places for switches, etc.  ... and then, I do not enter the room again without their permission.  I would never ask them to give admittance to someone I didn't know, and there would have to be an extremely compelling reason...fix a light fixture, repair a window.  Your photos tell the story quite well.

Actually there IS a protocol @Cynthia100.  Airbnb does not protect you during these "previews" and if a guest falls and breaks their leg, you are on the hook for this - 100%.  Additionally, if the current guest is robbed or claims robbery, they can put that completely on you for bringing a stranger on site.   DO NOT DO THIS! 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/47/what-should-i-do-if-a-guest-wants-to-see-my-place-before-book...

Okay thanks everyone. This has been very instructive. I will not ask to show the apartment. I will however take more pictures and perhaps include a layout of the apartment for prospective guests' future referece.

Do1
Level 1
Laval, Canada

Yes you can. I was once traveling in Vietnam with my boyfriend. We rented a nice appartement. There was maybe 8 appartment in the building. The morning we were leaving the owner came and asked if someone can visit the appartment right away. We didn't mind and the guy rented it right after us for a year.  Maybe it depends when you want to do it and what kind of guests you have.