Can I automatically set a minimum gap between bookings?

James1278
Level 2
Chandler, AZ

Can I automatically set a minimum gap between bookings?

I'm new to AirBnB.  I searched and I think I have a request that is quite different from what most hosts want.  I'd like to always have at least one full day free between the check-in of a new guest and the check-out of the previous guest.  I want this time to make sure the house is clean and stocked, thoroughly inspect it, and perform repairs and maintenance inside the home or other work that is likely to distub guests (such as leaf-blowing, tree-trimming, lawn mowing, etc.). 

It seems like I could do this manually by blocking one day at the beginning and end of every confirmed reservation, but there are two downsides:  1.  There's a possiblity that the next guest will book before I have time to manually block the days in between and 2. the blocked days will remain blocked when a guest cancels.  I'd really like an automated way to do this.

13 Replies 13
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@James1278

go to host / listing / availability / reservations preferences - edit / preparation time (block 1 night before and after each reservation)

Excellent, thanks!  A few settings were not presented or discussed when creating my initial listing.  Looks like this is another one and "preparation" is the magic search term I didn't use.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @James1278

@Branka-and-Silvia0 is correct. Once you change your settings, the automated blocking of dates will occur.  But always check ...

So I still need to manually block days before/after existing reservations, and I should always check to make sure it's working like it's supposed to.  Thanks for the heads up!

@James1278   No, you don't need to manually block them- that's the purpose of the Availability setting. Just set it to block one day before and after a reservation, and those days will automatically be blocked when you get a reservation and show as "preparation time" on your end of the calendar. On the guest end, they just show as unavailable.

You are correct @Sarah977, when I enabled the preparation time, it blocked the extra days at the beginning and end of each existing reservation, except the one case where there were reservations already booked with no extra days in between.  Thank you.

No. Once you change the setting, it is automatic. But good practise is to self check as well.......

Julie3802
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Just checking that it won't muck up existing reservations that are back to back ? Thanks all !! 🙂 

@Julie3802  Whenever you change a setting, unless some tech glitch occurs, it only applies to new bookings. It shouldn't affect already confirmed bookings. You could decide to change your check-in window, for instance, but the confirmed bookings are governed by the check-in times that were in place when that guest booked. 

BTW, that prep time setting is very confusingly worded. If you set one day prep time, it will block one day between reservations, which is how it should be worded. The blocked day after a  reservation doubles up as the blocked day before the next available date that can be booked. 

So just to be clear, one day before and after each reservation creates a two-day buffer and two days before and after each creates a four-day buffer?

@Jeff-and-Donnalyn0 No, only one "night" will be blocked as prep time. Guest can check out on Tuesday and new guest can check in on Wednesday.

@Jeff-and-Donnalyn0  No. It is worded really badly. It should say "Block one night between bookings"- that is what it does. If you want a 2 night buffer between bookings, you have to set it to "Block 2 nights before and after".

Let's say you have a check-out on Tuesday. Tuesday night will be blocked, that's the "one night after." Wednesday will be open for check-in. That same Tuesday night is the "one night before". 

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

Definitely check the preparation time in your listing settings. This will automatically block the nights before and after your reservations. However, be sure to use the website rather than the mobile app as I'm not sure the option is available on that.