Can I break your house rules if I do not have Covid?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Can I break your house rules if I do not have Covid?

Guest: Hello, I am asking if I can throw a party and it will have liquor and smoking vapes and stuff might be a little more rhen 24 people but they have all been tested negative for corona in the last 3 days I will clean everything for you. I am turning 18.

Me (to myself): I guess I should be thankful that he was upfront with his plans! Or she

This guest is looking to break every single house rule. I have no smoking on the property, no guests and headcount reinforced with a counter, quiet hours and no illegal activity (underage drinking). This all should not be an issue because they are Covid free. Makes total sense if you are a 17 year old.

20 Replies 20
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Jeez, Inna, you really get the doozies, don't you? No one who hasn't read your posts before would believe this was an actual inquiry. nd it's pretty unbelievable that anyone, even a 17 year old, would send an inquiry like this. A 12 year old, maybe. 

What, you don't trust that he'll "clean everything for you"? Oh, woman of little faith.

@Inna22

@Sarah977 January and February are my high season for party attempts. Prices are low, so is the temperature outside. I have availability unlike other months. In the summer I am booked months in advance and these people are not planners so it is just not an issue. And now there are no open bars or restaurants making matters worse. I had another request for the same weekend. 20 people for 21st birthday. When I told her it was not a good match she told me I made assumptions about her. She was not planning a party at all. Really? What was she planning? A book club? Too many people to have a meaningful discussion so I knew it was not it 🙂

And I always love your responses by the way

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

20 people + birthday doesn't = a party? How many are needed to qualify as a party? 40? 80? Maybe it's a extension of millennial speak. Contacting is now "reaching out", 20 people for a birthday isn't a party, it's a "small gathering".

We're just so unhip.

@Inna22

I know @Sarah977  has been banished but just had to laugh at this thread. and let you know it's not a "small gathering"... it's a "gath" in GenZ language.   

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Inna22 Yesterday I had a "Hello Helen, I am needing a place for a writing/film work assignment I am doing. Are you accepting guests if I have  a negative test result before coming?"

- She had a very young sounding name, was based in Bath, down the other end of the country and wanted 8 days!

- I told her I was still accepting essential workers, but her stay sounded illegal, as she could work from home, - her own home!

"No worries at all. Thank you" she replied. (At least she accepted No for an answer.)

I can think of old-fashioned names you never hear anymore, like Gertrude, or Prudence, but I'm scratching my head wondering what a "young-sounding name" is. You mean like a made-up kinda name? 

@Helen350

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Lola.... @Sarah977 

(And a young photo, upon scrutiny via her old reviews - which were mixed!)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah977 

Sarah, off the topic but thanks for putting me onto Your Porter app a year ago, I do subscribe to them now and they are a good resource to have on hand. The only thing I find a bit disconcerting, as new rankings come out, past rankings have been altered but I am figuring that is because of refined data. I am finding some previously ranked weeks have changed but I guess when you talk about one or two places out of 155 listings it is fairly irrelevant. 

But thanks again, a good tip on your part!

Your Porter 11th Jan.png

I just slipped to No 3 in December where I closed a few dates for personal bookings and a trip interstate....and one reservation that Airbnb refused to accept! 

March is going to look pretty good because February is taken with one booking but, a high percentage of my stays are one nighters...which I don't mind because I get the cleaning fee!

January bookings.png

I guess there is no requirement for you but if you are using Your Porter your place must look spectacular because of all your long term stays!

You are another reason why the CC is such a great meeting place Sarah....you are always available and you always have something constructive to offer!

Cheers........Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

Now isn't that crazy, here is an enquiry that is straight up-front, an 18 year old who wants to have a party with booze and smoking for 20+ people in the middle of the worlds worst Covid infected country and the Airbnb software puts the decision to host back on you the host.

I had a guest who wanted to book for himself and his partner for 30th December and the Airbnb software would not let him book. The program considered as it was getting close to NYE, it might have been a party booking and even customer support could not override the reservation rejection! CX told me it was for my protection!

We operate with a seriously bonkers company don't we!

Cheers........Rob

@Sarah977  @Helen350 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Sarah977 @Robin4 what is the porter app? 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

https://yourporter.com/

It gives me weekly reports on how my business is running compared to other STR's in my area.

I originally joined Your Porter to use as a channel manager to sync my listing between Airbnb and VRBO as I found Airbnb's syncing (between platforms) to be unreliable.

That is not relevant now because I have snoozed my listing on VRBO, but I do appreciate the comparative information I get each week which I find helpful.

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 great, thank you

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Hi host,

I would like to set your house on fire after my friends and I have a party and trash it. None of us have corona (except for the Coronas we will be drinking and smashing the empties against your nice hardwood floors.) Its hard to find a place to party in the winter. But we will clean up the debris from the bonfire after we get video for our Insta story. Holla.

No you cannot stay but I'll give you 5 stars for honesty.