Can I change a response I wrote from 'public' to 'private'?

Raazia0
Level 1
Dolphin Coast, South Africa

Can I change a response I wrote from 'public' to 'private'?

A guest wrote a good review and in response to her review I, thinking that my response was private, wrote that I was disappointed that she did not inform me that she broke the windscreen of the golf cart.  It sounds pretty mean in public.  Can I change the response to 'private' or possibly delete the response to her comment? I went to 'reviews by you' but there is no facility to edit.

11 Replies 11
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I think it's silly that they don't allow you to do so.  Or even edit a comment you just made moments ago. Thanks for the response!

Stephanie431
Level 1
Lake Clarke Shores, FL

A similar situation just happened to me. I got a 5 star review from my guests who loved my listing and the location- a really great review. They gave me private feedback suggesting that I provide glass bowls for cereal and a dish towel. I thanked them for the feedback and said that I would purchase bowls and a towel. It ended up being a public repsonse to a public review that had noting to do with bowls or towels. I can't change my response from public to private. I think the responses to the reviews should be editable- atleast with an option to make it either public or private. I totally understand why the inital reivew can't be changed and I agree and support this so we can all have honest feedback. I will NOT be responding to reivews anymore, that's for sure.

I agree, I did the same thing. And now response has a comment in it about "sorry to disappoint"

I did exactly the same thing. I thought a reponse to private feedback would automatically be private so I was shocked to find it weeks later when I went to re-read public review for ideas to improve my description. It was my mistake but I can;t change it from public to private and it included discussion about how difficult it can be to control spiders and webs in a rural homestead (harmless huntsman but still not a picture you want to paint publicly 🙂  Is ther any value in trying to contact AirBnB direct ?

Jenine5
Level 1
Riverstone, Australia

OMG! SAME!!! It is quite deceitful actually, because I read the guests private message and clicked "respond" and then days later find out it is public!!! Nothing bad in there, but again, replying to comments that arent even in the guests public review. I definitely will not be replying to any private messages anymore. This seems like a ridiculous oversight by AirBnB.

Michael2597
Level 1
Oakland, CA

I did the same.  Hey Airbnb:  If one is replying to a private message It should default to a private reply.  Common sense.  Why default into public, where it is out of context?  Please fix.

Chris1008
Level 2
Naples, NY

Same issue here. There are several threads about this on the forum.

Brittani7
Level 4
Florida, US

You can call Airbnb and have them hide your reply.  That's the best option they have.

Brittani7
Level 4
Florida, US

If I were in your shoes (and I have been) I would have Airbnb hid the reply.  As you mentioned, it isn't a good public response and might off put some potential guests.

Sean1274
Level 1
Indianapolis, IN

I had the exact same issue. Also frustrated that my response to a private comment was posted publicly and that I couldn't edit it under "Reviews Written by You". HOWEVER, I called Airbnb, waited on hold for 30 seconds, and they were able to delete my response right away. I wish there was a self-service option, but this worked perfectly.