Can I deactivate/remove my listing even if I still have outstanding bookings?

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

Can I deactivate/remove my listing even if I still have outstanding bookings?

Hi all.

I would like to deactivate/remove my listing.  What is the best way to go about this? Do I have to wait until the last guest has finished their stay?   I really enjoy hosting, but after having had some bad experiences with guests and Airbnb's weird rating system, I am ready to  take a break.  😛

6 Replies 6
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann489 Look up Snooze - allows you  to keep your existing bookings but your listing will be invisible to others

Kelly144
Level 4
Hobart, Australia

I wouldn't cancel the remaining bookings unless you are 100% sure you never want to host again. Cancellations reflect very badly on a host and there are penalties involved, including I think, financial. So if you cancel your remaining bookings, and then decide to host again one day - your profile will permanently show you cancelled on a lot of people. You'll never regain a good place in the search algorithm either, I bet. If you're really done with it all - I'd call Airbnb and explain and get them to cancel your remaining guests- you might avoid some of the penalties. If you just need a break, snooze the listing as mentioned by Gerry and Rashid. You can always deactivate it after your last guest, but you won't get any more bookings in the meantime. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelly144  You should reread the OP. He wasn't suggesting that he wanted to cancel the bookings he already has, just wanting to know if he had to wait until the already booked guests came and went before snoozing or deactivating, i.e. would it somehow affect their reservations.

Kelly144
Level 4
Hobart, Australia

Ah yes I see. I read "Do I have to wait until the last guest has finished their stay?" as a query as to whether the OP could just cease hosting immediately. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann489

Ann, snoozing or unlisting your listing will not relieve you from your existing hosting committments without penalty. It will just stop further guests from viewing your property in search pages. It will also not stop someone who knows your listings internet address from Instant Booking or sending you a request. Your listing is still active, it is just not visible! The difference between snoozing and un-listing is, snoozing hides your listing for a defined amount of time...Unlisting hides it indefinitely until you are ready to re-activate!

The only way you can stop further involement is to close your Airbnb account. When you do that Airbnb will relocate or refund your existing reservations ,

This screenshot of mine will show you the procedure should you wish to do that!

How to cancel an account.png

Ann, we all get disillusioned with hosting and with Airbnb at times and you are right, we do need a break. I am finding it harder and harder to get time away from it. 

But try to concentrate on the good times rather than waddle in the bad.

All the best with what ever you decide.

Cheers......Rob

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Robin4, @Kelly144, @Sarah977

Thank you for your input all...that was definitely very helpful.  I have no intentions  of canceling any existing reservations--I simply don't want any more bookings until I decide whether I want to continue hosting through Airbnb.  🙂

I find their rating system, wacky, faulty and unfair, to say the least.  😕