Can I decline superhost status?

Can I decline superhost status?

I've been doing Airbnb for over 4 years! We love doing Airbnb and sharing our homes with other people.  But lets be honest my listings are older "rustic" places.  We advertise them as a budget option and have prices usually set 25-50% below hotel prices.  Most people book our places because of this cheap price. We also have really good location and amenities. Because of this we are booked 98% of the time! Anyway our ratings have been decent ... we usually average a 4.5-4.7 rating but never near superhost status which is fine with me because we're doing great!

HOWEVER I am now really worried!  We just got made a superhost!  I really do not wanted to be a superhost as I am worried that people will expect so much more!  Our places are budget places not superhost places.  I think Airbnb somehow made us a superhost by accident by changing some of their policies due to Covid.  

Can I decline?

Thanks!

Stephan

8 Replies 8
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Stephan-And-Skye0,

Your superhost status was granted based upon the experiences your guests shared in their reviews.  If you continue to provide the same level of service, you can expect to continue to receive superhost status, whether you like it or not.

@Stephan-And-Skye0

You can have your superhost badge turned off (while still retaining the supposed 'benefits', but you'll need to contact Airbnb to do so.

"If you wish to turn off your Superhost badge, please contact Airbnb. Turning off your badge does not affect your Superhost status; you’ll still be able to enjoy the benefits of being a Superhost. If you want to turn your badge back on, please contact Airbnb"

Superhost Terms and Conditions
https://www.airbnb.ie/superhost/terms

Penelope
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Stephan-And-Skye0, you don't have to offer luxury accommodation to be a Superhost. You just need to be a great host! My listing is a basic budget room in my house, but I've consistently had Superhost status for years. Keep it on - it helps attract guests and says something about your hosting skills. Just be clear in your listing about what guests should expect. If you really don't want it, just provide poor service and it won't be renewed next time!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Same as Kath, I just have a private room listing in my home, and I've held Superhost status for years. It hasn't seemed to lead any of my guests to expect anything special or fancy, in fact one guest said, when I showed her to her room, "Oh, this is much nicer than I expected."

Superhost is supposedly about your hosting, not about whether you have a mansion with an Olympic-size swimming pool and a home theater room.

Don't worry about it.  @Stephan-And-Skye0

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Stephan-And-Skye0 I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. You've obviously put a lot of time into your listings and your guests have great things to say. Congratulations on becoming a Superhost!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Stephan-And-Skye0 

You say >> "I am worried that people will expect so much more! Our places are budget places not superhost places."

Superhost is just a host that accomplish with what is described in the listing. A Superhost is also able to deal with difficult situations during the stay when it appears. To summarize, is someone who is able to provide a good stay accordingly to what is described in the listing.
It has not to do with expensive or luxorious places to stay.

Being a superhost, you can be favoured in the search results if the guests mark the superhost filter. Some Airbnb users only books with superhosts. Why? Becouse they are supposed to be reliable.

@J-Renato0 Good point. I like to book with Superhost's because I can trust that my messages will be answered and that if something goes wrong they will work with me to make it right. It is not about the luxury of the listing. 

Superhost is like a supermarket loyalty card, it encourages hosts to behave in a certain manner so as to avoid losing it at all costs, yet in fact, it is worthless.  Apart from the crumby little "badge" it means nothing to hosts nor guests alike, neither party receives and tangible benefit, it's just a way for Airbnb to try and ensure hosts don't cancel any reservations for fear of losing something which they perceive to have some value when in fact it doesn't.