Can I give a partial refund on a long term listing?

Jenny1247
Level 2
Arlington, VA

Can I give a partial refund on a long term listing?

I am still a newish host.  I potentially have someone coming in for 31 days which falls under the "long term stay" refund policy that overrides my cancellation policy.  Is it possible if she was to cancel in advance for me to refund her part of the money?  I understand she can't be refunded the service fee to airbnb but I am wondering if I can decide to refund my portion or if airbnb will not allow this?  Second question, if someone books under one cancellation policy, say strict, and then you change your policy after they book, to moderate, will their policy still be strict or does it change previously booked stays to the more moderate policy? thanks!

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

A host can always refund money to a guest if they wish, using the resolution center "send money" option.  But it's a really bad idea to refund money until you have actually been paid by Airbnb for the stay or manage to get the dates rebooked, as the guest may ask Airbnb for a refund and receive one- then the host is out the money twice.

It's also a bad idea for a new host to take a 31 day reservation. That could put the guest into a category of tenant as far as your local landlord/tenant laws go, and could cause you possible hassles if the guest refuses to leave when their booking is over. It's much better to take shorter bookings when you are a new host til you learn the ins and outs of the platform and develop skills for properly vetting guests.

However your listing read when a guest booked are the conditions of their booking, whether it's the cancellation policy, house rules, amenities you provide, etc. Changing aspects of your listing info and policies only applies to bookings made after those changes.

@Jenny1247

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for getting back to me!  I had one previous long stay and they wanted to stay 31 days but I did have them reduce it below that to 28 so as not to be a long term rental.  I may do that with this person. 

By the way, I see you are in Sayulita! I visited Sayulita about 5 years ago....love that place!!! I sat on the beach and watched the most amazing surfers! 

best

Jenny