Can I show my apartment to prospective tenants while there is a guest?

Answered!
Pavel132
Level 2
Whitehorse, Canada

Can I show my apartment to prospective tenants while there is a guest?

Someone has rented my apartment for a 30-day stay. During the tenant's stay, I would like to find a long-term tenant.

Can I show my apartment to others from time to time? Can the guest forbid me from doing this?

1 Best Answer
JJ48
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Pavel132  I think you asked a similar question recently.  Again, it will depend on your local regulations regarding landlords and tenants.  It is likely that your guest staying for a month will be considered a tenant in which case you would both have rights under the landlord-tenant law.  If this is true in your area then you may be have the right to show the apartment if you give your guest the appropriate amount of written notice - again, check your local laws as this can vary from 24 to 72 hours typically.  And definitely be respectful regarding it all with your guest. 

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Dianne243
Level 3
New York, NY

Yes you can that’s all you have to do send a personal message to your guess through the app let them know that someone  is interested in  your apartment. That you and a future tenant will be stopping by on this date and time to show your unit to someone else. they should not have a problem with that It’s your apartment it’s all about communication with your guess. 
I hope this help you thank you

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Pavel132 you can if your guest agrees, but you risk having it mentioned in your reviews and you risk being rated down. Ideally, it should have been agreed before you accepted your 30 night guest. Besides, I would not enter into another contract until you are sure the current guest has left. 

That long-term (12-month) contract would need to be done well in advance, most people look for the beginning of the month to start they long-term rent. Do you mean that the 30-day guest may forcefully stay in there longer?

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Pavel132   it depends on the laws and regulations in your area.  In some areas long term (more than 28 days) airbnb guests may have tenancy rights and if they refuse to leave you may need an eviction order.  And some areas again have decided no eviction orders during the pandemic crisis.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pavel132  Just as with the answers you received on your other post about going in once a week to check up on the place, showing the home to prospective renters isn't okay unless you have made it clear before a booking is confirmed that this is something you'll be doing, giving any guests who don't feel okay about it the chance to withdraw their booking request. 

There have been many posts on this forum by guests who were really upset that the host was showing the home while they were staying- that it was an invasion of their privacy. It's a good way to ensure a bad review, unless the guest has confirmed in writing that it is acceptable to them for you to do this.

The guest confirmed verbally over the telephone that it would be okay to show the unit with a 24-hour notice.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Pavel132 In the UK, renters accept that once they have given one month notice of ending the tenancy, then the landlord will be showing prospective new tenants round, as landlords ideally like to have the new tenant move in as soon as the old tenant moves out. A 30 day tenancy is like the last month after notice has been given on a long term tenancy. Obviously it is polite to liaise with the existing tenant when showing round a prospective one!

I guess we Brits see it as a bit like selling a house, with potential buyers viewing whilst we are there..?

My personal view of ' privacy' is - It's not the guest's house, so s/he  should not be objecting to you showing people round.... But I'm British!  - Canadians may think differently!

@Helen350  It isn't a matter of Canadians thinking differently or it being polite to liase with the current tenant. There are laws about this in the landlord/tenant acts. It varies by province. Here is the pertinent wording from the British Columbia act:

Landlord's Access

Landlords have rights to access residential rental units in some situations, but there are important restrictions on those rights.

Landlord Right to Enter

A landlord may enter:

• Any common areas that are shared with others like hallways, courtyards and laundry facilities – no notice is required
  • The rental unit once per month to inspect the condition of the property – proper notice to tenants is required
  • The rental unit to complete repairs or maintenance – proper notice to tenants is required
  • To show the property to prospective buyers or tenants – proper notice to tenants is required

The tenant doesn’t need to be present for the landlord to enter as long as proper notice was provided.

Proper notice means a tenant is given written notice of the date, time and purpose for entering the property. By law, notice must be delivered in-person or considered by law to have been given to the tenant at least 24 hours before the landlord enters the unit."

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 Those B.C. laws are the same as the England & Wales (for whole house rentals.) My point about attitudes was that I reckon Brits are less likely to be pedantic.... I've been the landlord of a whole place since 2005 & never once have I given written 24 hour notice of going in! - I just knock on the door, or catch the tenant entering the  house, & say "Can I come in at 10am tomorrow to attend to xyz?" - They say 'Of course' or 'I'll be having a lie in, can you come another time?' -  No one's ever demanded written notice. I've never had a tenant who demanded the 24 hour written notice written into the tenancy agreement, & think they all would have thought that quite stuffy! But then we're next door neighbours... 

Interesting to see that by law landlords MAY show round prospective new tenants whilst the old tenant is still there (with written notice!) - In British Columbia & England & Wales!

I am a guest at an airbnb at the moment and the owner has asked me 3 days after I arrived that he wants to show the apartment to potential long term tenants  today and tomorrow. I said it was ok but then I asked him how many more times he plans on showing it while I am there, mind you I am staying for 2 weeks, and he didn't give me a straight answer. I understand he is trying to secure his long term future but I do not think it is fair to the guest that payed money to stay at a host's place to have to go out of their way and basically be a real estate agent while on vacation and have strangers come in where they are staying. Its not that much of a big deal for people to come in and check it out for 5 minutes but it does feel like an inconvenience for the guest that is staying there. I know the owner has rights to the place because, hey, he owns it but it can be a little annoying if you are on vacation and you have no idea when he is going to want to show the apartment to other people. The owner even said, which really made me concerned, that he can come in if I am not there to show the apartment. I told him please do not do that. I have personal belongings of great value to me and I shouldn't have to worry that my things will go missing during my stay at an Airbnb. The Host did not mention that he will be doing this when I booked it.  Had he done that I would probably have looked for another place.

@Christian2576  This seems really rude to me. Perhaps you should tell the host that if he is going to do this, he needs to inform guests of his intentions in his listing ad and to guests when they book within the time frame for them to get a free cancellation.

If this happened to me as a guest, I would tell the host this isn't okay with me, that guests have an expectation of privacy when they book a place and that if he insists on showing the place while you have an active reservation, you would like to alter the dates of your stay, move elsewhere, and be refunded for the remaining days. 

If he gets stroppy, contact Airbnb, they will hopefully assist you.

Hi @Christian2576 

No.

Says ‘ No ‘

Respond to the host, ‘ No, I am uncomfortable for any visiter during my stay.’ 

Do report the incident to the Airbnb Support Help Team, involved the Airbnb.

The host shouldn't organize any visit during the place rent out by a guest.

If the host wish to organize the visit, should block the date for the visitor and do it right. It is necessary to respect the present guest because the booking confirmation the payment and the date is occupying.

You do not need to open the door for anyone, including the host.

You’ve your right! 

Monique918
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

Late response - but I want to ask if anyone has thoughts about suite access, as in my opinion, potential COVID exposure trumps all, and by letting numerous strangers in while being a guest, is a not only a health risk but another of privacy.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Pavel132 

Pavell, the very fact that you are bringing up these questions says to me you are not cut out for short term renting! I would struggle to say you are a good host with the attitude you have towards your guests, wanting to treat them like bits of furniture rather than paying clients. I think any prolonged activity with Airbnb on your part would not be advisable. Sooner or later you are going to end up in a world of hurt.

At this point I think you should tell your current Airbnb guest you are bringing in a long term tenant to have a look around on a certain date at a certain time and not worry about the backlash that could cause with that guest. 

From that point, once the current Airbnb guest leaves,  concentrate on your long term hosting, I think that is the path you are better suited to and should pursue! 

Cheers.......Rob