Can I specify a preference for a gender and age range when listing my airbnb rooms?

Lydia1
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can I specify a preference for a gender and age range when listing my airbnb rooms?

My apartment is  compact and I am feeling a bit uncomfortable renting out my airbnb room to solo males of a certain age. Am I able to specify in my listing that the room is available to all females but only to males of a certain again.  or is this considered descriminatory?

7 Replies 7
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Lydia1

unfortunately there's no setting to block or preference certain ages or genders...

That's why at Airbnb the host can always accept or decline any guest, just go to the individual profile and if you don't like it ask a few questions or decline the booking...

Just make sure to leave the "Instant Book" turned off....

Luis

U mean Turned on
Sarah44
Level 2
Arlington, VA

Lydia,

I know where you are coming from. When I was renting out my guest bedroom on AirBnb/, I usually felt more comfortable with females but could only specify that in my listing then screen guests as they inquired. 

I am having a similar issue now that I am renting an entire condo on AirBnb. Often times, I get inquiries from individuals who have a good review or two, and use instant book to use my place. Little do I know, there are 5 (paying) guests who are under the age of 21 (the legal drinking age) and then I find beer bottles in my unit the next day. I don't want to turn off instant book because it attracts a lot of last minute stays but I there is no way for me to pre screen guests based on their age. I do wish AirBnb would give the hosts the age of the guest booking or I wish there could be a way to alter instant book requests. 

Lydia1
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Sarah, I appreciate your comments. Thanks!  I don't know if I would encourage airbnb to force people to reveal their age.  with the exception one male guest, I haven't had a problem with men guest.  I just personally feel uncomfortable sharing my house with a stranger who is a man.  anyway I guest like its been suggested here, I will just have screen them myself.  I just hate descriminating against anyone because of something they can't help they are. 🙂

Tanks again,

Lydia

Keith63
Level 1
Anaconda, MT

One gross use of this I've seen - just throwing it out there - is men who specify "females only" in their airbnb listing. That's fun.

Kelsey43
Level 1
Moncton, Canada

I found this today, very helpful for this exact situation: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1807/can-i-choose-to-only-host-people-of-my-own-gender

Thank you!