Can I stop a guest rebooking?

Kathy1
Level 2
Aston Clinton, United Kingdom

Can I stop a guest rebooking?

For the first time ever, I have a guest I don't like!  In a year I have had all sorts (!) but this chap just makes me feel uncomfortable. Not in an "I'm in danger" way just in a "this is my house and I really don't want you in it" kind of way! I know he's working in the area for a longer period of time, is there a way I can not have him book again once he leaves without changing my Instant Book settings and vetting everyone?

thanks

Kathy 

8 Replies 8
Ana-and-David0
Level 7
Fort Lauderdale, FL

First, you have the option to write about it to airbnb, when you are writting him a review. You can also call Airbnbn to see what other options do you have. 

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Well Kathy, if you feel uncomfortable you may be able to cancel his booking since he booked by Instant Booking. Airbnb policy states that if you have concerns about a guest's behaviour you may be able to cancel penalty free - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/990/how-do-host-cancellation-penalties-work

Reading your profile and listing, it appear you live in the property as a single lady as such together with any concerns you may have about this guest, Airbnb may be willing to let you cancel the booking.

The way I see it is why make yourself uncomfortable in your own home, risk the chance of the guest giving you a negative feedback if he senses your discomfort and then go through the process of possibly giving him a negative review - why not **bleep** it in the butt now.

I wish you all the best whatever you decide.

Ama

be careful with your cancellations because when you cancel it as the host the days will be blocked off on your calendar and it's almost impossible to remove them because Airbnb does not answer the phone

Waundell0
Level 4
New York, NY

That made me laugh! "this is my house and I really don't want you in it"  LOL

I get that totally. You would have to turn off instant book I believe to keep someone from booking. That will force them to send a request which you can decline. The more confrontational method would be to just message him and politely state that you are no longer able to host him and to ask him to please find other options.

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

You could make an excuse and tell him that based on some things you've heard, you're switching to only hosting women. I do know hosts who do that because they are single women and men concerned about security. You could make it sound like it's about a scary story you've heard and not about him. 

"Intant Book is not for everyone. " That's what a Case Manager told me recently when I had to cancel an inappropriate Guest - again.

He was right.

Think about the IB guest.  They don't want to chat, or answer questions. They just need a place to stay. And there's nothing wrong with that. If I had a separate apartment or house, or were a guy, or a couple, it makes perfect sense! And a lot less work for me, too.

But when I need to share my home, things change. As a female, I feel vulnerable.And now I'm only allowed 3 cancellations per year on IB. But you can still get out of a reservation that makes me uncomfortable. Make the call to Airbnb and say that you are not comfortable.

On the evening I spoke with the Case Manager mentioned, I had come home that night to find an IB guest screaming insults at me. The stress was too much. it simply did not work for me as a person. So I cancelled IB. I also took some time out to get some rest, and some perspective. Airbnb has been very good to me. But it has it's limitations, as do I.

And the requests and inquiries keep coming.

Chin up, sister!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kathy1@Mandi-S-Just-Business-Ro0@Eileen4@Waundell0@Amaris0,

I know you first created this post some time ago now Kathy, but I just wanted to highlight this new feature that Airbnb have just implemented regarding Instant Book. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

So is there an update to this is 2019?