Can I stop by for a tour?

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Can I stop by for a tour?

I list my place on Airbnb and other platforms and once in a while will get the odd question: Can I stop by and take a look around the place before I book? I completely understand where they are coming from, but don't really get what exactly they would be looking for? A reason to not book? Its a room with a bed, TV and closet. The 300+ people who stayed before them had NO problem booking the room sight unseen and the reviews state as much. Not to mention they are only paying $600/month for the space  and have  numerous questions. Most people who see a deal will book it and ask questions later. This person dragged on the booking process and said the reviews aren't enough for them to make a decision, they had no definite move in date stating either July 15th through July 30th and move out date it was either Oct. Nov. or Dec? Well which dates can I expect you to move in and move out?!?

I don't allow ANYONE into my house or even reveal my address without a signed lease and security deposit taken. Heck I don't even provide arrival details until 3-5 days before arrival. No amount of money is good enough to open my personal home to non-paying complete strangers when plenty of pictures and reviews are available to make an informed decision. The person is a complete stranger off the street! Who knows who they are and what their intentions may be. If a potential guest wishes to see someones house in advance they may be better off suited to booking a long term stay motel or a hotel which is at least DOUBLE what I'm charging.  

I did my best to be accommodating and said it'd be up to them if they wished to move forward. In the end they have to realize they need a place to stay not me. 

26 Replies 26

@J-Renato0 Haha.... What a Great Idea!! 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Zacharias0 

They probably want to see if there's anything worth stealing before they make a booking, its gone beyond  a joke at this stage.

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

It all depends on the circumstances.

Are they booking 4 weeks high season for a premium price, 8 months ahead, therefore making 50% of your sales figure for the year?  Maybe then you would accept to show them around.

Are they coming for 1 week?  gimme a break!   Airbnb works based on photos and reviews.  Sorry about that but go someplace else!

Many times they do this to meet you and avoid paying Airbnb commission.  Beware!  You have to then manage the reservation, the payment, the cancellation policy, the damages, the communication... al by yourself.  Up to you!

Anita1
Level 4
Ubud, Indonesia

From my years of experience, people who want to "look see" or "check the place out" first usually have 2 things in mind;
1.  They want to avoid the Airbnb fee
2.  They want to negotiate a lower price than advertised.

My standard response now is;

We appreciate your interest but we no longer show properties prior to booking out of concern for guest privacy and safety among other reasons.

Firstly, we've tried this in the past, but Airbnb intercepts the communication and sends this message;
....... "Just a quick reminder of our guidelines for using Airbnb—we require all communication to be handled on the site before a reservation has taken place to maintain your privacy, help provide customer support, and adhere to the Airbnb Terms of Service. " - Airbnb

As you can see, your request is putting both our accounts at risk of being closed.

You will also appreciate that we make your safety, privacy and the security of your valuables a priority. We believe this policy is why we have never had a theft or break-in. Unscrupulous people are using Airbnb to stake out properties and vulnerable guests or are just looking to avoid the Airbnb fee and even negotiate a lower price in person. If a host shows you a property before booking they will do the same during your stay.

I know some people feel better if they see the property, so for this reason I offer 2 options;

1. If you book online and within a couple days you find the description and photos inaccurate I will waive the cancellation policy fee, refund you all nights you do not stay and even request Airbnb to refund their fee. So your booking is absolutely 100% risk free.

2. If you are considering longer term stay, you can start by booking a shorter period like one week and we will apply any payment to the longer term discounted rate if you extend.

You should consider that unless you actually stay, there are many things you may not experience like noise, traffic, dogs, chickens, neighbours, pests, water, toilet, electricity, AC, wifi etc. This is why our options are the best and safest for you.

If you still have concerns, I would direct you to our 250+ positive reviews.

I hope you appreciate my position and I look forward to working with you. Please advise if you would like to proceed otherwise I will have to respectfully decline this enquiry. Thank you ..

========================================

These people never follow through.  In my opinion some if not all are just cons.

1. If you book online and within a couple days you find the description and photos inaccurate I will waive the cancellation policy fee, refund you all nights you do not stay and even request Airbnb to refund their fee. So your booking is absolutely 100% risk free.

Isn't this standard?  I mean, if the guest arrives and complains to Airbnb that your place is not conform with the listing and photos they can cancel or get Airbnb to find them another place, no?

Your response is well thought through and I agree with what you say.

But it is way tooooo long!  Nobody is going to read past the first sentence!  But apparently it serves its purpose which is to dissuade the viewing!

I would suggest keeping it much shorter, no need to justify or explain yourself.   Some people put good ideas in the thread above.

And  don't propose an indemnity beyond what the platform already gives guests you are opening up yourself to a dishonest person taking advantage of you.

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Hi @Zacharias0,

These people who want to take a look are usually the ones who wants to negotiate to get a lower price.

Don't fall for that trick. My space is also very affordable but still people try to get it even cheaper. 

Sometimes they ask for more pictures. Just another reason to negotiate!

They will say something like "I'm planning to stay for a few months so you'll lower the price even more and then all of the sudden they just want to stay for 8 days so at that point they'll divide monthly rate with discount into average daily rate. 

Aaaaw awaw so sad but true.....😂

Kira♡

So true! Had that happened to me, and the person only gave me 4 star on value after I went through all the troubles for her. Never again! I’d rather have my space vacant than being taken advantage of. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Susan1188 , @Kira32 , @Anita1 , @Robin4@Pete27, @Michelle And Michael,  @Johnathan6 , @Rebecca181, @Cormac0 

Hi @Zacharias0. You are correct to pass over such an enquiry. Red flags everywhere.

Yes, we have an obligation to be hospitable, in how we handle the enquiry, but nothing more. I always state that as this is our home, it is part of our WHS policy to not allow viewings outside the booking period. Sorry, no exceptions. We have extensive photographic images and details documented in the listing, so they should be able to find what they are looking for there. But if however they still have questions, then please do not hesitate to contact me again for an answer, as I’m here to assist..

For me, if they are wanting a viewing, they are locals.... which I discourage. I’ll ask them point blank that I am curious why they would need to book my place as they already have accommodation for they reside locally. That usually stops them, and are not to be heard from again. 

They are either con artists, up to no good, wanting to have a pool party, operate outside the Airbnb or other booking platform terms, or just plain old indecisive or very needy. None of which I have time to handle, if on site.  I’m not a realtor offering viewings for a sale!

However, I will  give a booked guest, 150% of my attention..... 

For me, if they are wanting a viewing, they are locals....

Yes recently had people friends of apartment below my Airbnb sollicit a viewing.

Supposedly they want to stay a few weeks a year to be near their friends.

I was very wary of this, as you can imagine the people in the unit below are maybe not so enthusiastic aobut your activity.

Anyway I did actually accept letting the m in to see.  Haven't heard back for several months now about them renting!

John2475
Level 2
Inverness, United Kingdom

If you spend time taking good clear accurate photographs of inside and outside and plenty of them, then there is absolutely no need to have viewing in advance. I have never been asked in advance to view and would never ever consider it.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Who "tours" a hotel before deciding to book? 

Isn't part of the fun of using Airbnb the adventure? Staying somewhere different? Maybe even quirky? Charming? Somewhere unlike your day to day? 

Touring sounds more like renting an apartment or buying a house...

Judy689
Level 2
Venice, FL

Thank you everyone for all the input. I have been having so many people request “tours” before booking. I tell them sorry that I abide by Airbnb ‘s  policies for safety. So no tours before booking and even after booking I’m still hesitant about tours. But as I’m writing this it occurred to me that maybe I would want to meet My booked guests before they check in to make sure I’m comfortable with them because I only want to book long term stays. I rely heavily on good reviews of potential guests. I’m new to Airbnb so this input is quite valuable to me. Thanks everyone.