Can Thieves Review the Police? Airbnb Review System is Wrong

Cindy223
Level 3
Taipei City, Taiwan

Can Thieves Review the Police? Airbnb Review System is Wrong

I've been offering best experience to guests so they usually check out late. The checkout time is 11am. Some overslept and some just don't want to leave. Last time I asked a Chinese female backpacker if she needs to stay longer she said no but she didn't check out. The a/c was still on and her stuff was all over the floor. I called her back to return the keys and she said NO to me! I reported to Airbnb finally she came back for checkout in the evening and gave me 1-star review.

This time I reported one who tried to check out at 10pm! (This Chinese guy told my Dad he needs to check out at 10pm but didn't tell me. 10 pm! How dare he say so!) I called him back and finally he left at 4pm and I got 1-star review again. I reported to Airbnb but nobody cares.

I only got an email from the system asking me to offer best experience. The point is: I do offer best experience so guests don't want to leave. And when I ask them to leave they gave me 1-star review. Do I need to let them check out at 4pm or 10pm? Let the next guest wait and I don't have time to clean up? Can a guest be entitled to leave a review, a retaliatory one, if they check out late? We often say: "He who comes into equity must come with clean hands." i.e., a dirty dog will not have justice by the court. Can thieves review the police?

The Airbnb review system needs to be improved. Could you please remove the retaliatory 1-star review? The comment is only a sentence (in Chinese): "I don't want to say too much. I'd sleep on the street rather than in this house." The reservation code is [Reservation number hidden]. Thanks!

22 Replies 22
Cindy223
Level 3
Taipei City, Taiwan

I wrote to Airbnb 12 emails from Oct 3 to 15 and finally got 1 reply from Case Manager Dara saying:

"even if we removed the review, it would not change the star rating. The star rating isn't something we can remove at all."

Airbnb knows I did no wrong but still doesn't want to make it right. This is the Airbnb that we trust.

To Airbnb: I asked you to cancel the reservation because the guest violates the rules and you didn't. I asked you not to allow him to review because it will not be fair and you didn't. You can do everything before he left a retaliatory review but you didn't.

Now you tell me you are unable to remove the review?

Sabrina108
Level 3
Lisbon, Portugal

Hi, for my experinece I can say this:

If you have a guest staying for a night, ask them about check out when they check in and inform them the time clearly. I always do this and inform the check time when giving them the keys. If someone wants to leave their bags and comeback later, I usually allow depedning on my time schedule. I have made a small luggage station for my guests. 

If you have guest for more than one night, do this that day before check out. In fact, I suggest people who may have a late flight or something else, that they can leave the luggage and comeback later to collect it and that they can go to visit the city. It works most of the time as I have seen that carrying luggage is often a problem for people. So, helping them is a way to resolve other issues. Also, have a clear key station and ask the guests to leave the keys on thier way out if you not their when they check out. 

With all guest, I also send a message to reconfirm the check out time and plans and also to give them a thanks. Afterall, we are hosts.

I hope this would help. 

Thanks

Sabrina

I have done everything you said and they still check out late.

What should I do when guests don't leave my house?

I reported to Airbnb and the guests always leave 1star reviews that can't be removed.

Here a case manager Dara said: "even if we remove the review, it would not change the star rating."

So Airbnb can remove the review, but they can't remove the star rating.

--- this is today's update ---

Marie21
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

maybe it is cultural in that part of the world and they feel they are 

untitled

if i was u i will try to find others hosts from ur area and see how do they deal with that issue or even if they encounter such a problem 

i believe dependiig on which part of the world u are hosting u have diff behaviour from local and nearby country when he comes to  ABB

Sandra-and-Wolfgang0
Level 10
Litzendorf, Germany

Hi @Cindy223

I had that Problem, too. The guests didnt want to leave the apartment, but I need to get  the apartment ready for the next guests.

So I put up a note on the back of the door. 

Dear guests,

please observe the last day, that checkout is until 11am!

If it will be later than that, we have to charge 50% of the daily rate!

Thank you!

Since that sign is up, never anybody checked out later....

I think in the Airbnb Therms it says, you can charge 100% for a day, for a late checkout.

You could ask for the money through the Airbnb System.

Nice greetings from Germany

Sandra

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

To answer your first question - yes, yes they can. At least in my area. Our Sherriffs office gets publicly reviewed online. Many of the 1* reviews are actually hysterical. The review system is the world we live in, so now onto your actual issue.... how to survive within it. 

I agree with a previous poster that it appears you are dealing with some cultural issues. You won't change the culture. So you must find a way to make it work... if you are consistently having guests over stay their welcome, and not having adequate time to prepare the space for the next guest, then allow a day or two between guests. Increase your rate to compensate for these unhooked dates. 

Continued... it appears that you only host extended stay guests. It's not the same as simply packing up a weekend bag - it's more like a move. A buffer is good for both guest and host. 

But more importantly, if you are hosting a guest for 3 months, you need to be in a non-confrontational relationship with them.  I'm not there, and I don't know, but you've hosted two guests and both times the "relationship" ending in a 1* review. 

Instead of asking Airbnb to remove these reviews, is it possible that some introspection is warranted? 

Instead of asking 

If the guest stays less than 90 days in most places the police can be called at check out time and they will physically remove the guest and their belongings.  After 90 days they are considered residents by most municipalities.  Not sure about foreign laws.  After 90 days the eviction process must be followed to have them removed which can take up to 90 days with no chance of getting any revenue at all from them.  Make sure you make contracts are for 89 days or less and you can have them thrown out like the crooks they are!

Thanks for your reply. The point is the host's account will be deleted by 1star reviews from the late checkout guests. And the Airbnb doesn't care about it. This is the serious problem: fake review system.

The guest who check out late slept very well in my house, but he said in his review: very bad experience. This is called "retaliatory reviews" and it is unacceptble in a true review system.

To Willow: Your sherriffs office gets publicly reviewed online-- this is not "reviewed by the thieves" 🙂

If those thieves can review your sherriffs, the reviews would be like: "the sherriff can be bribed, good!", "the sherriff is thin and easy to be knocked down"...which is ridiculous.

Hope you understand the point.

Actually one reviewed their stay in the jail, complaining about booking fees and quality of food, lol. 

It is the world we currently live in. We live and die by reviews.