Can We Get A Confirmation On The Compulsory Cleaning Protocol?

Jennie131
Level 10
Rapid City, SD

Can We Get A Confirmation On The Compulsory Cleaning Protocol?

I have read the cleaning handbook, and clicked through the "Five Step Cleaning Protocol" that we are all forced to agree to implement by November 20th. From what I can see, we are required to follow the "best Practices" in the cleaning handbook which include such things as washing walls, outdoor light fixtures, any and all dishes, pots, pans and utensils and extra blankets, towels and sheets that guests may have access to but not use between reservations. 

Many hosts are protesting this, and other hosts are saying that we don't have to follow the handbook, or that it's simply "best practice" and if we deem it "not possible" then we don't have to do it. 

Can I get an official statement confirming either we do or do not have to follow everything stated above? There is a lot of confusion here. For may of us, it would be impossible to follow. I'm not looking for hosts to comment that they agree or disagree, or to argue the point, I want an official word on this.

Thank you.

22 Replies 22
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jennie131,

Post your question on the thread where Catherine Powell made the announcement, tag her, and ask her directly.  There have been several hosts who've asked for this clarification, but thus far there's been no response from Airbnb.

@Debra300 I have done both of those things, repeatedly, and while @Katie posted a response saying that only commitment to the five-step process is required, there has been no official response to the question of whether the five-step process requires rewashing all linens and cook/tableware. The wording on this has changed a few times.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lisa723,

Yes, your questions, Helen's, Sarah's and Andrew's were the ones I was thinking of when I said other hosts have made for the past week, but there has been no official response from Catherine or Airbnb.  Although Catherine may release another video, the problem is that thus far she has verbally stated something that's not in the written policy.  Which has always led to a plethora of questions and requests for clarification.  We are still waiting for her to respond to open questions about the new cancellation policy.  Her, Katie and Lizzie's follow-ups to these videos have been helpful, but they haven't resulted in written revisions to the posted policies.

Personally, I am dumbfounded at how Airbnb pushes out ill-thought and poorly written policies.  It must be like home on the range in their offices, because they surely do run the business like a bunch of cowboys.  Throw a lasso here, there a lasso there, just round everyone up, and brand them.

Jennie131
Level 10
Rapid City, SD

It's pretty telling that the company won't answer this question.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jennie131, thanks for your question. I did respond to this question on the main thread, so just wanted to link you to it here. 

Please let me know if you have further questions, and I can pass them onto the team or assist directly if I am able 😊

Katie, this made nothing clear for me. This is mushy language is designed to be non-comital.

Are hosts required to adhere to each and every procedure in the "Best Practices?" Do I have to take my curtains down and launder them between each and every guest, or can I deem this to be not applicable to my listing? What about washing walls between guests? ARE BEST PRACITCES MANDATORY?

Could you please answer with a simple YES or NO?

@Jennie131 I have to agree with you, it seems that @Airbnb is being very deliberately ambiguous on the specifics of the commitment. I can think of a few possible reasons for this, and none of them has anything to do with anyone's health or safety.

@Katie if we can't get a straight answer on this we'll be snoozing our listings before November 20. If Airbnb delists us, c'est la vie.

@Catherine-Powell 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jennie131, thanks for your question here. 

The mandatory 5-step cleaning process and the cleaning handbook are different. Here’s how:

@Lisa723 @Jennie131 @Debra300 I hope this helps to clarify, but please do let me know if you have further questions. 

@Katie  (I am repeating my post, which contradicts what you said in your answer (I think) regarding a more general compliance with AirBnb's cleaning protocol versus detailed compliance with the checklists also.)  Clarity?

10/22/20:  I had originally tagged Catherine Powell in a Community question last week and got no answer -- although this seems like a pretty important question.  So then I called AirBnb yesterday and was on hold for 40 minutes before I hung up.  HOWEVER.....I just got off the phone with Airbnb Customer Support today (10/22/20); CSR’s name was Isiah. I explained my concern about the need to clarify the AirBnb cleaning protocol commitment, using the example that I host full homes and have  full kitchens and while the dishes that were used by the last guests would be washed, I would not be willing or able (in accordance with AirBnb’s detailed room checklists) to remove ALL the dishes from the cupboards, ALL the  pots and pans, ALL the spice jars etc., and wipe and sanitize ALL of them, whether or not they had been used by the last guests.  (And I specifically tell guests this in a note posted prominently in my houses -- so they can decide if they wish to wipe and sanitize these items before using them; or use their own items brought with them.)  I also used a similar example with the CSR of the bed linens and bed blanket being washed after each guest stay, but I would not be removing extra blankets from the closet and washing all of those whether they were used or not, after each guest stay (and again, I post this info in my houses). However, I said WOULD be able to have my professional cleaning service generally follow the 5 Steps in the sequence offered and replicate the OVERALL cleaning process as outlined by Airbnb, most of which my cleaning service is doing already anyhow and which could be slightly modified to comply with Airbnb’s protocol. I asked these questions and gave these examples several times to make sure lsiah, the CSR, understood the essence of my question — I.e. “What does compliance REALLY mean?”  He said he did understand my question and said he needed to consult with his support team for a few minutes to get an answer and he put me on hold while he did.  He then came back and said, for example, ALL dishes and ALL linens in the house that are available to guests,  whether used or unused, needed to be washed and sanitized in order to comply with the Airbnb cleaning protocol.  So.... at least per this CSR’s answer, Step 4 compliance is not “based on,” in a general sense,  the cleaning checklists. It means full compliance with those checklists in a detailed way — something I would suspect most hosts who are hosting a full home could not comply with, without significantly altering the amenities to their homes or creating a cleaning process and cost nightmare. Or perhaps AirBnb is trying to get "back to its roots" and get out of the whole home hosting business?   If anyone gets a different answer, I’d be interested in hearing it. Laura

@Laura4513 

I got the opposite answer from CS, and have posted it previously.

@Katie 

Please give us an official answer. Does "Wash all dishes and laundry at the highest heat setting possible" mean ALL AVAILABLE regardless of use, or ALL USED?

Thanks.

@Laura4513 

This perfectly outlines my concern with signing off on the protocols.  I haven’t seen clarity around the 5 step process (which I don’t have issue with) and the enhanced cleaning protocol.  I just got an email from Airbnb again prompting me to sign up for the “enhanced cleaning protocol” (no mention of the 5 step protocol) with the threat of

If you don’t agree by this date, your calendar may be blocked and guests may be unable to book future reservations.

I too have a whole house and a fantastic detailed housekeeper, but with a fully outfitted house there is no way she can wash every dish, bowl, etc. or any extra blankets in the closet... very conflicted about this.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Katie 

I’m still waiting on confirmation as to whether Airbnb is going to go against our government’s Covid legislation and make it mandatory for hosts with disabilities/long term conditions to obtain written confirmation from a health professional that longer term use of a mask impacts on our health. 

As I have mentioned several times over the last week or so, this is not something health professionals in the UK can provide (they are rightly only open for emergency care).

Airbnb is therefore making it a mandatory condition of continuing to host that UK hosts who may have health conditions provide something which it is not possible for us  to obtain- how can this be right???

why can’t Airbnb introduce a box on listings which hosts with disabilities/illnesses can tick that shows whether or not they will be able to wear a mask at all times in communal spaces. 

in that way guests with concerns can avoid listings  where hosts aren’t able to wear a mask 

This is exactly what happens when something is a hastily cobbled-together pre-IPO PR stunt, rather than a real, genuine policy for the public good to which the company has the slightest bit of commitment. 

Penelope

BINGO!