Can a camera be in a bedroom that only points out toward a window.

Jon40
Level 2
Seabrook, NH

Can a camera be in a bedroom that only points out toward a window.

We have an inside camera that hangs in a bedroom window that points to the parking lot. Does this violate terms of use? It does not show anything of the bedroom.

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jon40

Let;s put it like this - if you entered a bedroom you had rented as a guest and found a camera positioned in the room what would you think? I would be pretty annoyed and more than  that freaked out and  would find iit more than creepy. Even if the host told me, don't worry, it's just pointing outside - I am not sure I would believe  you nor feel comfortable staying there. Personal view..but think of it from the guest's perspective

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Jon40 i would not advice any camera in bedroom even if not facing the room specially if u are a male host.

If u could move it to front entrance or back entrance/facing parking parking spot

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Jon40 Definitely not cool, no matter where it’s pointed, if it’s turned on, etc. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jon40,

Welcome to the Community Center. 

As @Gerry-And-Rashid0@Marie82 and @Cynthia-and-Chris1 have already said, it is really important that each other's privacy is respected, and like Gerry I think it is good to think how you would feel if you were staying there.

To provide a little more information around Airbnb's policy about electrical surveillance devices in listings though, there is a good Help Center article with an overview which says that these devices in places such as the bedroom is not allowed: 'we require hosts to disclose all surveillance devices in their listings, and we prohibit any surveillance devices that are in or that observe the interior of certain private spaces (such as bedrooms and bathrooms) regardless of whether they’ve been disclosed.'

I hope this helps to answer your question here.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.