Can a guest leave a review if they cancel more than 24 hours before their check in?

Can a guest leave a review if they cancel more than 24 hours before their check in?

Hi,

If a guest cancels more than 24 hours before their check in, can they leave a review? 

My understanding from previous posts is they cannot.

Can someone confirm this is still true?

8 Replies 8
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

They cannot.

@Dave52 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dave52 

Dave, a guest can only leave a review if they cancel on the scheduled day of the start of their stay. 

They can leave a review even if they don't turn up, as long as the cancellation was on the day they were supposed to arrive.

If they cancel on the day before, they will not be offered the opportunity to leave a review, the system is automated and does not take into account special circumstances.

I have reviewed a number of guests who in fact did not get to arrive here, and they have reviewed me, but in each instance there was a special circumstance involved and the cancellation was on the scheduled day of the stay!

Cheers........Rob

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Dave52 

Don't think 24 hours, think on the day of check-in. 

Example:

A guest books to check in on Friday, January 15

Cancels Thursday (Jan 14) at 11:57 pm ---> Cannot review

Cancels Friday (Jan 15) at 12:02 am ---> Can review

Thanks for your replies!  It's confirmed.

As for cancelling same day before check-in, had it happen only once ever and it worked out ok, but can see the potential for abuse.  Surprised airbnb allows this.

In any case it's pointless to debate an algorithm.

@Dave52 There is definitely potential for abuse and some hosts have suffered from it. But I can understand why Airbnb has this policy- guests do sometimes arrive at a listing to find that the place hasn't been cleaned, is filthy, or otherwise inaccurately described or the host wasn't there to let them in and wasn't responding to messages, etc.

But there has to be a better way to determine if this was the case, or the guest simply never arrived. At the very least if the guest cancels before the host's check-in window, a review shouldn't be allowed.

@Sarah977 This would be difficult for you and me since we don't have smartphones (although I always travel with my laptop) but it would make sense for the Airbnb app to allow guests to "check-in" to a place similar to social media profiles checking in to restaurants or stores. A notification would be sent to the host. 

@Emilia42  Well, we could be sent notifications like I get alerts of messages, with a simple text alert, without using the app.

@Sarah977 

That is true but you would need some way to respond/acknowledge the alert. Like click "Yes" for "I have arrived." When I first started hosting I could respond/reply to messages on my phone like I would a text message. But that is no longer supported and a computer/tablet/internet is needed.