Can a host check on their unit condition from time to time?

Pavel132
Level 2
Whitehorse, Canada

Can a host check on their unit condition from time to time?

I rented out an apartment for a 30-day stay. Can I enter the unit from time to time to politely check on the condition of the unit to make sure everything is going well (say, once a week)? What would be a correct way to do so?
23 Replies 23
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I've done a few 30 and 30 day+ bookings and I always tell them that I will come over and check on the place once a week from the day they arrive. I message them the night before to arrange a time. I have not had any complaints and I don't think I'd accept any either. 

Dianne243
Level 3
New York, NY

Hi yes absolutely you can check in on your property what I do. when I checks in my guess in I do a walk-through with them .  I pacifically let them know I offered cleaning service my cleaning lady Maria  will come depending on how long you stay, my accommodation I offer my cleaning services that’s how I’m able to check up on my property my cleaning lady comes in once a week to clean and keep me updated.  Or you can just come yourself change the linen change give them more clean towels for the bathroom that’s how you able to check up without them even knowing. Just use your imagination that’s how I’m able to check up and all my properties.
 I hope this help you thank you. Dianne 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Pavel132 

Your guest might expect exclusivity to the space rented at the point of booking. To categorically retain access for your own needs you should have a rule in your House Rules stating that you retain access at all times and for any reason. This would serve as clarification.

If you don't have this, then you would need to discuss access with your guest who could just decline.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Pavel132 the correct way would have been to agree to a house keeping scheme before the guest checked in.

Do check-up visits have to be connected with house keeping?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pavel132  As others have pointed out, this isn't the sort of thing you spring on an already booked guest- it's something a host needs to think about and mention in their listing description and in messages with guests before a reservation is confirmed.

Entering to make sure a guest is taking decent care of the place doesn't have to be connected with housekeeping, but that's a preferred way to accomplish a "check-up". Most people don't appreciate being what would be felt to be being spied upon, and guests expect privacy when they rent an entire place. By having an arrangement where you, say go in once a week to do a quick vacuuming, linen change and replenishing of supplies, you then have the opportunity to see how the guest is living in there, without making them feel like you're their daddy checking up on them, and they may make more of an effort to keep it clean and tidy since they know you'll be coming in once a week. 

JJ48
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Pavel132   In my location, any guest who stays 30 days is covered under landlord-tenant law.  A written lease is not required.  There is nothing about them booking on Airbnb that exempts them from these laws.  If I need to access my unit,  I can give 48-hour notice and then access it as per the landlord-tenant regulations.   I'm not sure what the laws are in your location but it's worth looking into as it's not uncommon.

As @Ian6 and @Sarah977  have pointed out, your guest may not have this expectation so it's important to communicate clearly with them.  And of course it's important to be respectful with access whether it's a guest from Airbnb or a tenant from another source.  Personally I think that Airbnb could do a better job  of educating and informing guests (and hosts) about how a 30 day stay may effect them legally.

Thanks for pointing that out. As far as I'm aware, it is leases beyond 30 days that have some tenant-landlord legal effect. 

@Pavel132 

Agree that this should be in your house rules and communicated to guest before/when the booking is confirmed or at least before check-in. 

You could say it is for home maintenance (roof/smoke alarm) and regular checkup of facilities (plumbing, sewer, hvac system etc.) and collect&provide clean sheets or towels without having to provide any housekeeping. I would suggest having a checklist with you so it seems you are there to do something specific other than check-up (or snoop) on the guests. 

However you decide to approach, most important is to make sure guest is aware and okay with the visits IN ADVANCE. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Pavel132 

The one thing you can't do is head over there put your key in the door and walk in unannounced!

The guest is paying you for the space and has a right to exclusive privacy.

What I tell long term guests......."If there is anything you want let me know and I will get it to you. Just one other thing, I don't like to sleep on the same bed linens for more than 4 days, and I don't expect my guests too either. Are you okay arranging times when I can come in and do a quick restock and clean"?  

None of them mind this and are quite happy to cooperate.  If you ask for their assistance in this you will get it I am sure.....but you have to ask.

And as far as check-up visits being linked to housekeeping....yes they do, or at least have a solid reason. To just say you want to have a walk around and make sure nothing is broken is going to be seen really badly by the guest. They don't want (what is a stranger to them) roaming around scrutinizing their things.

Also you leave yourself open to theft claims which we have seen many times here  and on other hosting sites in the past...."The landlord let himself in when we were not there and we later discovered there was $150 missing from my travel bag"  

These sort of posts are common, most of them probably false, but the guest felt violated  and wanted to get even.

Why would you want to put yourself at risk!

Cheers.......Rob

Thank you for your long post. It is certainly obvious that visiting a premise while it is rented, without an advance notice, is something hardly acceptable.

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

I too think that it should say something  in your listing if you want to do that. And if there is nothing in your listing then you shouldn't go in at all.. I also wouldn't scheme on excuses why you want to come in, its best to give legitimate reasons or at least something that's believable. Saying you want to come in on a weekly basis to do things  like  checking the smoke alarms, or checking the supplies or change the linens will make them think that's  bull**** excuses and you must think they are up to no good. Plus what happens if they say I will let you know if the smoke detector starts chirping or when they need supplies,  or that sleeping on sheets longer than four days doesn't bother them, are you going to insist on it? because that can only end bad.  I  would put something in my  listing that said how things in houses break and in order to minimize the affect it will have on a guest stay the issue needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Therefore  you will need access into the house on  a weekly basis in order to do a quick walk through to check for things like water leaks or frayed wires. Then I would even throw a quick reminder in their confirmation email. That way everything you told them is true, and the guest  will see that your asking everyone and not singling them out, which is what they will think if you show up one day and say you want to come in and check the house.

The thing I am having a problem with is why you would feel the need to check on the house if nothing was said or done to make you think that you needed to do that. Have you had guest in the past that made you feel that its necessary or do you just have no trust in people in general?

And why just on month or longer stays?  if a person will do something when staying a month they will do it on week long stays as well..

And last but not least, going through the house weekly is bound to result in embarrassing and uncomfortable situations , someones going to forget they left their under garments on the floor, or maybe left something out that they dont want somebody to see or they have a sink full of dishes or that they are just all around slobs. Your going to see something that will cause them to be embarrassed which should at the very least cause you to be uncomfortable and make you want to leave whether  you checked the house or not. 

I myself think unless given a reason to think otherwise its best to give the guest the benefit of the doubt and assume they won't be anything other than responsible adults. Plus if something cant be found, the first thing they are going to think was that it was stolen, and since you were in the house checking smoke detectors your going to be the prime suspect. I myself dont want to go into the houses when guest are staying unless I have to.

Julie660
Level 4
Rockford, IL

I have been renting to traveling medical professionals that come to town on 3 month contracts.  This has gone on for about 3 years and I have never been inclined to check on the condition of the property.  All they tend to do is work and sleep, best guests ever!  If you have folks in town for more then 30 days, what brings them to town?  That would be my first of many questions, if they say they are in town for anything other than a work assignment, I would probably pass on the reservation.  Julie

What would be wrong with a person's coming for a month's stay for something other than a work assignment, if I may ask, Julie?

AirBnB has the feature of automatically accepting guests matching certain criteria. It wouldn't be possible to simply cancel a reservation for no apparent reason, or even if there is one.