Can an Airbnb take a credit card for damages?

Caleb45
Level 2
Puyallup, WA

Can an Airbnb take a credit card for damages?

I just went on a trip where I booked an Airbnb. I am not sure how exactly this worked out but the place ended up being a part of a local resort of sorts. My guess is the host may have done some long-term rental agreements with the resort or that the resort is listing its places on Airbnb. We had a great stay and had absolutely no issues so I am not here to make a case.

However,  there was one questionable thing I wanted to ask about that seemed a little out of the Airbnb agreements. When we checked in, since it was a resort, we had to put a credit card down and let them put a 50$ hold on the card for each day we stayed there. This was essentially a damages deposit and as we caused no problems it was all returned. That being said this practice could have easily caused us with having to pay for something outside of the platform which I think is not quite in agreement with the terms.

Is this an improper circumnavigation of the airbnb damages/conflict resolution system?

What do you all think?

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Caleb45  It appears that the location of the listing has requirements that should have been disclosed by the host as it has nothing to do with Air BNB.  Any security deposit the host  might have would only related to the interior of the listing and would be disclosed during the booking process.  Air BNB does not actually charge the "deposit" but reserves the right to access the card up to the listing security deposit amount should there be a legitimate damage claim.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Caleb45 This is not a normal procedure on Airbnb so I would have advised you to not provide your credit card information in advance.  

Airbnb has procedures for a host to collect for damages.  Here's the link that explains: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

Some hosts require that guests sign a contract before renting which is allowed by Airbnb providing that the guest is aware of the terms before booking.  That said, the terms in the contract must not violate Airbnb's Terms of Service which state that all payments between host and guest go through Airbnb.  

Here's what Airbnb says about contracts or rental agreements: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/465/can-hosts-ask-guests-to-sign-a-contract

In the future, I would recommend that you not agree to give your credit card info and instead inform the guest to follow Airbnb's procedures for collecting for damages.  

Hope this helps!

Clare

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Hm.... I've heard hotels can list their rooms on Airbnb under different regulations then "ordinary" hosts. I don't remember where I have read it, it was about a year ago.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Branka-and-Silvia0 You may be right, however, without knowing where @Caleb45 stayed, it is not possible to check the listing details.  

Looking at the host properties for the last two reviewed stays, neither looked like they fall into any special listing category on Airbnb. 

Hope all is well in Croatia!!

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Clare I would imagine @Caleb45 was put in a position where he had to either pay or go home and he chose to enjoy his vacation. Luckily, he had that much on his card to pay. Some may have not been prepared for the expense. @Caleb45 If you want, you can report this listing to Airbnb for charging you outside the platform.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Caleb45 @Clare0 @Inna22 @Branka-and-Silvia0

Caleb, your agreement is between Airbnb, yourself and the host!

It is up to the host to make sure that any third party interests are disclosed in the listing description.

The host is quite entitled to ask for card details to cover 'unforeseen' circumstances....City taxes, special guest requests but, only if they disclose these additional amounts in the listing description prior to booking. Airbnb do not encourage third party transactions and any security deposit should be edited into the hosts 'Extra Charges' so they will be clearly displayed before a reservation is confirmed. 

If your host, or the hosts agent has subsequently required additional sums of money that were not prior disclosed it was up to you to either cancel the reservation or accept the additional charges for the sake of the stay but, once the stay has ended and your additional money has been returned, flag (report)  the host for operating outside of Airbnb's rules!

I hope this is of help to you Caleb, and all the best for the upcoming year!

Cheers......Rob