Can guests see their star ratings?

Answered!
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Can guests see their star ratings?

I'd  like to leave honest feedback regarding a guest.  I realize the text of a review follows a guest, but how about their star rating?

Do guests see the stars given to them, in addition to the review?  Who else sees the star ratings of a guest? If I give the guest less than perfect stars, will the guest know that the star rating came from me?  How will the guest be impacted if I give less than 5 stars?

How about the thumbs up or down - who sees that and will it be traced back to me?

Thanks!

Jude

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Bhumika_0-1699047984033.png

Thanks

-----

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

72 Replies 72

@Calvin90 You sound like a host 😉 If you read more of this forum, (we're mostly all hosts here) we're all upset and distraught over our ratings and the Airbnb review system.

Where did you see a your rating of 4.7? 

Please tell me how you found your actual star rating? I see my reviews, but I don't see nor can I find my star rating as a guest 

Fair comments Calvin90.  As a host, I am not looking for perfect although I expect to deliver as close to that as I can as a host. I've had a couple of things broken like the hinge of an ottoman but I doubt any of the minor damage that has occured to date was intentional and that's how I look at things. No one sets out to break a snowshoe binding...it happens. No I didn't and wouldn't charge a guest for that, nor would I give them a less than 5 star rating.  Where I might provide a lower rating is if I am repeatedly contacted for something kind of silly. Again, repeately is the key word. I chose to be a host. I like hosting people. I like when they say they had a lovely stay and would come back. It comes down to attitude and expectations for both hosts and guests I think, so clarifying everything ahead of time helps. I'm sorry you have not had such great experiences. I think most of us are good - I think.

how did you find out your guest rating?

Agreed. I'm a guest All host have me wonderful comments. But my rating has dropped. Meaning,  although they gave me great comments, and I rated 5 stars and gave them great comments it makes me not want to rent from any f them now. 

Why? Well I don't know why I did wrong to prevent the low rating. Next,  since I don't know who did it,  I want to prevent my rating from dropping more

So I have to avoid all of them since I don't know who dropped it seeing that literally every host said I was pleasant,  clean,  quiet,  and they'd like to have me back. 

So...this rating system has made me decide to 

1. Not go back to previous hosts which I wont

2. Get off of airbnb 

Thanks to this guest rating system which isn't accurate hosts will lose business

“I just had a guest check out who wasn't awful, but one who didn't rise much above my minimum expectations.”

Since when is it the responsibility of someone who has paid you for a service, and created zero issue as a guest to impress you, or “rise above” your “minimum expectation”?

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

Rate them accordingly. Guests are only rated on 3 criteria, so if you are to leave a 5 star review, make sure their standards were high. Judge them on the same level they can potentially judge you.

To be 100% honest, I do not believe guests who have fewwer than 5 stays at an AirBnB should even be allowed to review. The logic is that most will inevitably rate/review your property as it is compared to a 5 star hotel. Once they are familiar with the format of AirBnB they should be given privileges of rating.

There is also a bit of deception about the rating system as 3-4 stars may seem fair to the guest as they are told these are fair/ok, but airbnb does not treat it as such. I understand that a fair rating/ reviewing system encourages us hosts to keep up standards, but I doubt and am very skeptical of the sincerity and honesty of guests.

@Russell49 "To be 100% honest, I do not believe guests who have fewwer than 5 stays at an AirBnB should even be allowed to review. "

That's beyond absurd. You have to have a perfect score for the right to review? Apply the same standard to hosts... How do you like that proposition?

If you pay to stay then that's your right to review.

@Gary185  No, it's not absurd with a platform such as Airbnb as an alternative accommodation platform that is very easily misunderstood by 0 review guests.

There needs to be a more clear way to differentiate being rated by AirBnB guests since they believe all too often that the 5 star standard is that of a 5 star hotel. 5 reviews is just a roundabout figure, but the idea is that the guest has a certain familiarity with what AirBnB is and the differences to other accommodations.

If I am a business partner with a company, the last thing I would want is someone having different expectations, just to turn around and condemn me in a review because they expected a hotel. What I propose is more educating on AirBnB's behalf and experience from the guests before your reputation is thrown in the gutter by someone who is confused about AirBnB's platform. The rating system is trash, the standards to writing a review is all too often negligent by 0 review guests (not all though).

AirBnB could fix some common sense issues when it comes to ratings-yet it doesn't, but let's be clear-paying to stay at someone else's home does not warrant being any form of connoisseur. You are not an expert if you have no experience which I say 5 stays gives the guest a more clear idea. At the end of the day, you pay for a room and have the entitlement for reviews-it is not a right to leave vindictive views based on an out of touch perception on a 0 review guest's behalf.

Jude, 

people who stay in your property do not have to "rise" to any expectations. You are providing a service and people who want to be in your city/town are paying for that service. You can take your stars and put them where the sun don't shine. 

Sincerely,

Trevor

So glad to know I'm not the only one!  I've been trying to find the guest star rates before accepting to no avail. I have had similar instances where guests are not "bad" but are definitely not good. Not necessary to leave a scathing written review but the cleanliness rating is low....then no one else knows it!

I know I would find it helpful if hosts typed their star ratings but that would be hard to do as the anonymity of the reviews is appreciated by all.

@Christina0- I agree completely. Still not sure how the stars for guests are used. Sure would love to know the answer to that one!

All guests with a 4 star rating will be asked to explain why they got one before I allow them to stay here.

If they have 4s on house rules or cleanliness, I discourage them from staying and remind them what they are reviewed on. I make it very clear before checking in that this is their chance for "redemption" on their ratings.

What makes a guest not bad but not good?