Can hosts demand proof of vaccination?

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Can hosts demand proof of vaccination?

I rent out a bedroom in my apartment so social distancing cannot be maintained except for when the guest is actually in the bedroom. The moment they leave to go to the washroom or even to exit the apartment, they need to transit through the very small "common area", where I am most of the time.

Does anyone know if I'd be within my rights (and within AirBnB policy) to add "fully vaccinated and proof required before check-in" to the House Rules and then cancel on any guests who do not comply?

I've been taking crazy risks as a host all through COVID and it's a miracle I haven't contracted it yet.

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you 'take crazy risks as a host through Covid' when there are so many ways to protect yourself? 

anyway yes you can state that you only take guests who are fully vaccinated.

obviously proof varies from country to country and paper evidence can be fabricated 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sean95 

I believe that you can and for a homeshare you probably should.

Airbnb CS has said that hosts can do this but of course that’s hearsay.

Employers are doing it so I don’t see how anyone can claim discrimination.

This post discussed the issue in detail:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Hosts-amp-Vaccination-Requirements/m-p/1405422#M1597...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sean95  Try doing a search here for this topic. There are several threads on this. Yes, many hosts are asking for vaccine proof and stating that they only accept vaccinated guests. 

As a home-share host myself, whose guests share my kitchen, I actually have had my calendar blocked to bookings since March 2020 as I am not willing to risk getting this virus, and luckily I have another job, so I can do that and still pay the bills. 

I plan to open to bookings again in the next couple months, and I will most definitely only accept vaccinated guests.