Can one cancellation and snoozing harm your listing?

Sanna1
Level 2
Chamonix, France

Can one cancellation and snoozing harm your listing?

Hello everyone,

I am a Airbnb Superhost and have been hosting for a number of years with great success.We recently added a new property and the summer went well in terms of bookings-the guests loved it and we were looking forward to a busy winter season.During the autumn ,unfortunately,we had to cancel one booking due to a double booking from another site (the other site does not synchronize the calendar,this is our one and only ever cancellation) and later on I put a the apartment on Snooze mode overnight,which I then took off again.We are now coming to the busiest time of the year and we have no bookings /enquiries and I wonder why?I have checked the prices,the listing and everything else I can think of and they seem to be in order so my question is can our one cancellation/Snooze make this property 'invisible' despite raving reviews?And if yes,is there something I can do to fix this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Kind regards,Sanna 

5 Replies 5
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Unfortunately, that cancellation has many ramifications and it sounds like you may be feeling some of it already. Though it is hard to tell, for it could all be incidental, I would contact Airbnb nonetheless and do try to explain the reason for the cancellation. Nothing to lose.

Thank you ,Fred,for your advise.I did the cancellation over the phone with Airbnb staff as it was the first time I had ever done it and wanted to make sure it was all well.This helpful staff member was very positive in her response to my request and said it was ok as it was an instant booking and I had never cancelled before.Only later on did I see some other (not so positive) comments by other hosts in regards to cancellations and got a little worried.

Incidentally ,we just got our first enquiry for winter for this property so perhaps it was just a lull in the bookings department:).

Thanks again for your time to respond.

Kind regards,Sanna

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

All I can say is, that I use the snooze option a bit and every time I re-activate my listing, I get reservations.... Not sure if that helps, but I don't think it harms your listing. A single cancellation is not to worry for but if you keep it up you'll drop in the search results for sure.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Sanna1

I cannot see any host cancellation review on your listing, so that should indicate that the cancellation is not the issue.

airbnb is pushing Instant Book very hard these days though, and those without will be pushed down the search results. If there is lot of competition in your area, not allowing IB could have an impact.

Thank you ,Marit Anne,for your response and taking the time to have a look.I have the instant booking on so perhaps it is just fierce competition in this area (which it is sometimes).

Thanks again.

Kind regards,Sanna