Can / should I require photo of driver's license prior to arrival?

Donald225
Level 3
Deerfield Beach, FL

Can / should I require photo of driver's license prior to arrival?

We're new hosts, a little more than a month in.  So far, we've had good success (or luck).  5 completed bookings so far, all great guests and all have given us 5-star glowing reviews (and vice versa).  We'd be happy to have every one of them back.  But I know sooner or later the party will be over.

We have a Ring doorbell and we do take a look when the guests check in just to make sure everything looks on the up and up, but that's it.  What if things go sideways and we have to make a police report (or file suit, etc.)?

Should we require a photo of the driver's license of the person making the booking, and perhaps the make/model/license number of the vehicle(s) that will be parked on our property?  When you check into a hotel this is standard procedure.  They are booking the entire house and we have self-check-in with an electronic door lock, so we can't collect that info at check-in.

I know we can't ask for that info prior to booking, but I'm thinking we should say in our house rules that we need this info within a certain number of days after booking or it will be cancelled.

And yes, I understand there are situations that require you to obtain id, but we're not in a condo or HOA, etc. so we're not contractually or legally obligated to collect such information.

I don't feel as property owners that Airbnb gives us any real sort of protection.  Certainly, they don't give us any real info about the guests.

22 Replies 22

@Elaine701 
that is very curious, a DL is of course, government issued, why isn't it acceptable ID in Spain?

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Gillian166 

You can't travel internationally with only a drivers licence. 

Ooh excellent point 😀

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Donald225   It wouldn't hurt to ask for the make, model and tag number of the car(s) that your guest will be driving; you can state that you live nearby and will want to know that they have arrived safely when you see a car in the driveway.  I ask for vehicle identification at one property as I have a very nosy neighbor who likes to call me when a car is in the driveway.  I can then reassure her that it is my guest.

I think at minimum we will ask for vehicle info.  Hard to imagine anyone getting concerned about that, as the info is publicly visible anyhow.

Patricia1375
Level 4
Nederland, CO

I have learned a lot from several successful Airbnb hosts.  They agreed to let me copy their rental agreement, which I now use and require all guest to sign.  On page two it asks for a copy of the primary guest's driver's license.  In 4 years, no one has questioned it, and for those who preferred some guests provide a copy of their passport or other legal ID.  It's also something my homeowners insurance policy also required.  No fuss.  Keeps everyone on the same page, and gives our guests no-contact entry onto the property which our guests have stated they appreciate with current pandemic concerns.

@Patricia1375 Would you be willing to share your rental agreement?  The city wanted a copy of ours with the license application, so I put something together, but not really happy with it and haven't used it so far.  Thanks!

Sheila616
Level 2
Lillian, AL

@Patricia1375 I would also like to have a copy if you don't mind sharing