Can we PLEASE have a pet fee? PLEASE?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Can we PLEASE have a pet fee? PLEASE?

How hard is this to create a toggle for pet fee?

We have resort fees, laundry fees, management fees, but still no pet fee. Why is this?

19 Replies 19
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 

I would guess that they are reluctant to do it because there would be arguments about whether “Emotional Support” animals are pets. 

I suppose we could state that as far as we are concerned “pets are people too” so, logically, they should pay the same rate as we charge for additional human guests.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

There is no pet fee coming. Years and years of documented cries and pleas from hosts to add a pet fee option and they haven't or won't. The best solution, in my opinion, is not to allow pets. 

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

I welcome pets, and don't have a pet fee. The only thing I have thought of doing is raising my cleaning fee for those who have pets, but I don't know a way to do that. 

@Linda3345we don't charge a pet fee either. I would settle for being able to adjust a cleaning fee but that isn't possible at the moment. Pet damage is not covered by ABB. Hosts have no way to collect money for pets on their own. Yet hosts who don't take pets are required to take support animals. So darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

Last week I sent out Pet Fee requests via the Resolution Centre to 5 guests staying this month - I charge £10

per night per pooch.  

One newbie couldn’t work out how to pay,  3 paid and one hasn’t responded yet. 

How easy it would be if pets could be included in the initial booking - it’s so confusing for guests. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I think you have a point. There should be a pet fee! 

Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

@Laura2592 

Great idea! I think there should definitely be a fee. Also, they should stop asking us to add to popular amenities and family travel if we do NOT want pets. It looks like we have not completed the amenitiesScreen Shot 2021-10-18 at 2.17.15 PM.png... so weird. 

Julia3263
Level 1
Barney, United Kingdom

Yes I agree that there should be an option to increase the cleaning cost for guests with pets as it takes longer to clean hair from all surfaces and floors. This seems simple and sensible, why can’t Airbnb add this? 🤔

Mary4252
Level 2
Seabrook Island, SC

Airbnb is hurting the "cleaners" by not allowing a pet fee.  The pet fee is a way to compensate cleaners for the extra effort that shedding dogs, sandy paws and wet tails cause in any home.  Pet fees are a taxable item, just like everything else, so Sales Tax is not the issue.  Someday, a guest/owner is going to drag Airbnb into a lawsuit because they fail to acknowledge that people have and bring pets.  They could avoid this issue by passing the liability to the guests and owners where it belongs.  And, a pet fee would do this!

Air's policy is they DO NOT COVER PET DAMAGE.  So they will NEVER have a pet deposit. 

To get around this, use a channel manager and you can collect pet deposit, security and damage deposits. 

@Dave1074which one do you recommend and use ,and how much does it cost and are there other reasons to use it besides these 3 deposits?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 It is, as you say, very easy to have a pet fee but I suspect Airbnb's lawyers will be telling them that they cannot both charge a fee and reject any claims for pet damage.

Thomas2536
Level 2
Durham, NH

I would also like a pet fee option, and for that fee to increment with the number of pets, i.e. $20/night for one dog, $30/night for two dogs.

I would also like to see Airbnb allow hosts to enable certain types of pets. Our property is dog-friendly, but we're not able to take cats because of our family's own allergies.

We often have guests book for a dog and a cat, and we have to cancel their reservation and explain that we meant "dogs only" (which is very clearly stated in the listing, but who reads anymore? lol) Airbnb's search filter is on "Pets allowed" when it could be improved to allow more granular search (i.e. cats, dogs, ferrets, rocks, etc.)

Linnea-Or-David0
Level 5
Ochre Beach, Canada

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't we just put in the description... like in that description part that pops up that they have to agree to before booking...  that we charge a pet fee and request it through the "send or request money" feature?

I'm not disagreeing that they should have a pet fee option built in, or in anyway saying that guests wouldn't still find ways around this.  But the previous posts make it sound like there's no way to charge extra for a pet when there actually is, just takes a little effort.