Can we block guests from coming again?

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Can we block guests from coming again?

Honestly, there's some guests that I wouldn't want to stay in my airbnb again. They always say... "we'll be back when we are in the area". BUt, some people just aren't a good fit. Especially, the ones who leave bad feedback and less than 5 stars. Why would they want to come back and why would we as hosts want them back to leave us another less than great review? 

Airbnb really pushes hosts to use instant book but that feature leaves hosts with zero ability to prescreen guests. 

Is there a way to block people from instant booking? If there isn't, there should be. 

97 Replies 97

I am not an expert, especially recently with how much is changing - but start with the reservation, look under cancellations, on the right side options, "report user" might be your only option to get to general "Airbnb Help". They make this not easy for hosts. Keep trying, yes, phone support numbers will pop up eventually, if I try to type one, it may block it into xxx-xxx-xxxx - Did these guests provide photos? Go to resolution center, follow up, chase this issue down, it takes a while, but if there are photos, you gotta accept what you see - and you have a right to ask to see them - but if no photos? Push back. Everyone is trying to find an ant after they had some time at a listing, and use it as an opportunity to get money back like we are all some corporate hotel chains who won't miss the money. It wasn't like this until 2020.

Sincerely, push on, it takes time, be firm yet polite always, and good luck.

Hayley207
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

But I have a guest that you s a “good guest” but makes me feel weird. So in that instance I will leave a good review because everything was in order but I felt icky. This is where it does not work. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Alexandra316

It is said, but has not really been confirmed, that a thumbs down will not let that guest Instant Book again.

And then there is the 3* thing if that is still valid

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/New-Get-guests-you-can-trust-every-time/m-p/43251...

@Marit-Anne0 Good to know, and I think it does make sense.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Donald28 Don't feel bad about the report feature, ABB clearly doesn't do much with that feature but it is your one way of not re-hosting guests you don't want to have again.

So, in the message thread, click the Report, then Other, then it will ask 'do you want to Block?' 

yes, yes you do

I utilize this often for guests who review badly and/or for attitude that doesn't seem enjoyable to have back.

When I tried to block a guest using the message thread and your instructions, the option was not given.

Does it affect your Superhost status if you block?

Kris60
Level 2
Gilbert, AZ

I took off instant book last yr-hasnt affected me a bit. I want to pre-approve everyone. I dont host alot so it works for me. There is a previous guest that I really dont want back and if he was to inquire, I will politely decline him. However, I do not see why anyone would re-book the same place if there were issues and a low rating. 

Sometimes they don’t see an issue with themselves but some people are not a good fit. Mine is a local issue. I’m tired of locals booking me for one night stands. This is still my house.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You could try having a minimum two. Night stay ?  @Dianna17 

Thats an idea but I have in the past had travelers stay two nights or tourists. I wish I could do that with the locals. 

So agree! Same here. They are always a hazard.  And not only for one night, but any last moment booking for the same day reservation for one or few days. Now I am still having instant booking but requested government ID verified, do not do last moment discounts, and the best thing I did - 7 days ahead reservation request. So now, if I have 7 nearest days open it will require guest to send me a request for any of those 7 days, other than that it will be instant booking. I always can find a reason do not accept the reservation. Those locals do not plan more than 1 day ahead. Only once I had a not local person booking the same day.

Tanya194
Level 2
Suffolk, VA

I just reported a want-to-be guest because she doesn't have any reviews on her profile, and though our listings are set to book only to reviewed guests, I guess it still allows the viewer to see the listing.

This particular guest is basically harassing me via airbnb text and has done so all day. So I clicked report her, and expected to see the block gesture thereafter but it never offered block as an option.

We have been lucky with our guests and only had a few bad ones, and they were all non reviewed prior to booking. So, non reviewed is not an option.

I think I'll set my airbnb to request booking only. They either need to give hosts control of their booking or expect hosts to take control by other means.

Totally agree. I have requests such as; reasons for visit etc. they go right around it. Yesterday a young girl instant  booked me then said she was on her way. It was 2 hours before check in. I explained it was at 3:00pm and she disagreed so I screen shot the listing. She shows up on the check in time in her bed clothes. 

I wanted to stop the instant book reservation  but would have got penalized and lost my superhost and received a $100 fine?????? 

It was as expected! I had a unsanitary mess to clean up and I was angry and frustrated. 

Something needs done.

@Dianna17 wrote:

I wanted to stop the instant book reservation  but would have got penalized and lost my superhost and received a $100 fine?????? 

I don't think you are fined or lose superhost status by simply turning off instant book. I did it with no backlash like that. I'm pretty sure you are mistaken.