Can you change from a strict to a moderate cancellation policy after the you have confirmed a reservation?

Can you change from a strict to a moderate cancellation policy after the you have confirmed a reservation?

I had a request from someone with a confirmed reservation for a cancellation. I had a strict cancelation policy at the time that reservation was confirmed. Its a 3 day reservation and its 20 days from now. I would be happy to allow for the cancellation and refund, but it appears that I cannot change the cancelation policy for reservations that are already confirmed. Is this correct? Are there any work arounds? 

Thanks,

Lisa

3 Replies 3
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lisa6190 when you get a cancellation you have the option to refund any amount you like, beyond the requirements of your cancellation policy. You cannot control Airbnb’s refund of its service fee.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Document in chat that you are willing to give the guest a full refund. Then have the guest call Airbnb and point them to the chat. Airbnb may also contact you to confirm, and then cancel the booking for you.

The only thing in question is whether Airbnb will refund the guest service fee. The policies say that the service fee is not refunded, but a couple of my guests have been able to get a full refund by doing the above.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Just keep in mind - whatever you do, you do not be who cancels the reservation.