Can you change your mind about hosting a guest again after they leave an unreasonable review?

David2905
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Can you change your mind about hosting a guest again after they leave an unreasonable review?

I recently reviewed a guest. She seemed pleasant enough and had left our flat clean and tidy. I'd no reason to do anything other than give her five stars and say that I'd be happy to host her again, which I did. Her review of us was less complimentary. I think her complaints were really unreasonable, bordering on the bizarre, and I now would not want her staying with us again. We use instant booking. Is there any way that I can change the statement that I'd be happy to host her again? If not, I think that's a flaw in the system. It may only be once you see an unreasonable review that you decide you don't want the guest back. 

9 Replies 9
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@David2905  NOPE - pretty sure you can NOT change anything about a review after it is published. I looked and didn't see anything that looked close to less than fine reviews on your profile for the past month or so??? Maybe it was in private feedback sent to you??? make sure when you read and respond to guest you are NOT responding publicly to the guest private feedback......Many hosts make this mistake and it is a very unfortunate thing THAT ONLY looks bad for the host. 

Plus sorry I don't get it - You thought they were fine 5 star and tidy - NOW because they voiced something you change your mind? Sorry, I'd want to find out more about what was not right for them. And you know, many people can NEVER be pleased as some say. There are weird and different people everywhere and sounds like you got ONE. happy hosting and peace, Clara

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@David2905, no, you can't change the review. But I also can't see a negative review. Anyway, they are unlikely to book again if they were unhappy the first time. 

David2905
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Thanks.

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

I think you can block them on the platform which will stop that profile from seeing your listing in the future if that is something you want to do.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Where is the negative review?

@Emilia42 and @Clara116 It could be less than five stars were given by the guest in various categories and overall. I have encountered the same before. Everything was good but only 4 stars.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Alice595 

I know this does not answer @David2905 's original question. But, honestly, I wouldn't worry about it then. Future guests should be the only ones concerned with your reviews. Those looking at your listing cannot see individual star ratings and all I see is 5 stars across the board and glowing reviews. This guest was probably just not educated on anything less than a 5 is bad, bad, bad. Luckily, it has done no harm to your listing.

Ann30283
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I can see why David would want to do this. I had guests who were expecting to be able to use the kitchen, although the listing dosn't list it as available to guests, and as I serve breakfasts myself it would be illegal re H&S laws to allow them to do so. They also wanted a fridge in the room, which wasn't a realistic expectation for a £50 B&B, and again access to a fridge wasn't in the listing. So they scored me down on communication and accuracy (I know this from the timing of when my score when down). I messaged them to ask if everything was okay but they didn't reply. Its not a huge crime, but I don't really want them reducing my score again without having the courtesy to tell me why (their written review was all good), and in this case there were happy enough that I think they would come back.

I haven't tried it yet, but blocking as per Matt's suggestion might be the answer.

Sue174
Level 4
Ottawa, Canada

I had this exact situation so I ended up on this thread. I wholeheartedly agree with @Ann30283 as well as @David2905. In my situation, the guest was fine, left the place clean and followed rules so he got my 5-star rating and a “Yes, I would host him again.” Then I got to see his THREE star rating and his tearing apart of my place (ridiculous things out of my control). So no, now I don’t want to host him again so I’m disappointed that I can’t change it, regardless that it likely won’t affect my otherwise stellar 5-star rating. I guess I have to hope he never books again since we were such a huge letdown for him. Fingers crossed! 

(And yes, I addressed his “slights” ever so nicely in my response to his review).