Can you host in a hurry or should you wait till you are ready ?

Can you host in a hurry or should you wait till you are ready ?

I have recently purchased good property in Goa, India with the intention of hosting it on Airbnb. The property doesn’t have great interiors as of now but people can still stay in reasonable comfort. I was planning to start the complete interiors but since it is peak holiday season in Goa right now, therefore, decided to rent it out through offline sources during this season and then start the interiors in offseason. I would like to also put in on Airbnb and am unsure if I would get good reviews because of the poor interiors and if that would damage my chances to be successful on Airbnb. Suppose I list it on Airbnb during this season and then delete the listing then would the average feedback recd for my old listing still effect me in my new listing?

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Difficult to comment without seeing the listing.  How much work needs doing?

All your reviews will show up regardless of whether you cancel a listing so probably not worth the risk of listing it in poor condition @Randhir1 

What if I delete the listing and relist after doing the interiors. Will the old listing have any impact on the new listing?

I believe that Airbnb gives a boost to your listing for the first 45 days. Is this boost given to each new listing or to one account? If it is given to one account then I risk losing the advantage of the boost on a listing that I don't want to continue for long. If the boost is given to each listing then there is no risk.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Randhir1 Any reviews left will still show up on your profile, whether you delete the listing or not is irrelevant. Thanks 

Thanks Yadira

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Randhir1 . Both @Yadira22  & @Helen3  have given good advice. Don’t list till you are ready, as the reviews could haunt you and cause concern for future bookings....

@Randhir1   On Airbnb, you're under a lot of pressure to get 5-star ratings from every guest. Even if your listing is completely accurate and appropriately priced, you still take the brunt of the punishment if the guest is unhappy. So I agree with the recommendation to wait until you've brought it up to the standard that you would reward with 5 stars if you were the guest.

In the meantime, renting through other resources is a great way to get experience and useful feedback.