Can you pay your co-host through the Resolution Center or not?

Can you pay your co-host through the Resolution Center or not?

Friends - I just had one of the most frustrating conversations with someone at the Help Desk (I know a SHOCKER!).  She/He keeps telling me that the host and co-host cannot use the Resolution Center to request and reimburse for out of pocket expenses despite that the Help Center says this: 

Keep in mind, shared earnings typically don’t include reimbursement for the co-host’s out-of-pocket expenses or for additional help the co-host may end up providing. You should discuss with your co-host how to handle such expenses. If you need to reimburse your co-host, you can use our Resolution Center.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1537/how-do-i-pay-my-co-host

So, have you/do you/know how to use the Resolution Center to complete this kind of transaction?  As the co-host, I cannot seem to be able to start a request from my host which is why I went to the Help desk in the first place - I've been having OTHER problems related to my co-host status so it just seemed like this was another such problem.  Any and all advice would be helpful. 

6 Replies 6
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Alice-and-Jeff0 I don't know the answer, but I do know that when I have a frustrating experience with an ABB C/S rep, I call back and get someone else, or, I ask to speak to a Case Manager, and then I pretty much in all cases have gotten the help I need. I also call at 1 or 2 am (PST) and sometimes am lucky to get the Florida Center (everyone I have gotten there so far ROCKS) and I even got someone amazing from the South-East Asian office at 1 am, she went above and beyond for me and was very savvy, sharp, and knowledgeable. So maybe call back and hope you get lucky?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you want to pay your co-host expenses through the resolution centre?

Just get them to invoice you for their costs and pay them out of your Airbnb business account, then you will have a record and can claim as a business expense against your tax.

@Helen3 - I am the co-host and want to use the Resolution Center for my host to pay me for out-of-pocket expenses.  That would reduce their "income" from the payments from guests and it would show up as "income" for me.  Yes, that's a bummer for me to pay taxes on the income, however, I can do the expenses to reduce against my Airbnb income.  

I think you are complicating things, it would be much easier for you to simply invoice the host.

But speak to your accountant and see what they say.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Alice-and-Jeff0 etc it matters not a jot how you get paid, still an expense for the Host, income for you.

Must admit never thought you could use ABB to make such payments, I assumed you would need to have a Booking in the system.

If you can then might be a cheap and easy way to make payments, similar to say PayPal.

David

RESOLUTION:  You can use the Resolution Center ONLY if the host officially "hires" you as a host using the Marketplace portion of the website.  My host, although she did find me on the Marketplace and I provided her a quote for services via the same channel, when she added me to the account, she "invited" me to co-host which, apparently, is a different type of relationship than if she had done some operation to add me through the Marketplace.  

So, there is a nuance here that does not make complete sense to me.  Nor does it make sense that they couldn't migrate my relationship from an "invited host" to a "hired host" (or that they make any kind of distinction anywhere) so we could use the Resolution Center to process payments.   IIWII.  

To get to this point took days and days and days of conversations and escalated 3 times.