Canadian Cities Regulations - Calgary

Canadian Cities Regulations - Calgary

Hi!!!, Toronto is going to start to regulate Airbnb, they are calling it "one host - one home"; Vancouver also has been talking a lot about it. I am pretty sure that sooner than later they would start to talk about it in Calgary. I know, from friends that work in hospitality that, hotels have been complaining about Airbnb.

Should we be worried about this? I think that we must start to talk about it

I just created a Facebook group where we can share info; "Airbnb Calgary and all Alberta", any host is welcome; I find this "community room" very unfriendly to use or find info.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2017/06/19/toronto-to-move-forward-with-proposed-rules-on-air...

5 Replies 5
Lee304
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

Do we need to get license for running airbnb?

No, not yet in Calgary.  But that is changing in the future.  The city is in the process of regulating, but the process hasn't been finalized yet or rolled out.  But it is coming.

Dicksey0
Level 2
Cochrane, CA

Can you be a host with  an "unincorporated" business status when your income is over $15000 /year?  or do you have to incorporate to remain as a host once you reach $15000 /year?

It seems the only people who should worry are owners of rental property who want to switch from long term to short term renting because in the end they will be circumventing traditional rental laws, like not being able to increase rents more than once a year or more than a certain percentage. It is proven that in such a circimstance the property can earn a considerable amount more with short term rentals than with a market rate lease. San Francisco has adopted the model of one property per person. Hotels here were up in arms about unfair competition, since they had to pay a transient occupancy tax (TOT) while Airbnb hosts did not, so now all hosts are responsible for paying 14% on all bookings. Airbnb collects it from guests and remits it to the city directly. If your city adopts the one property per host, they will not find their long term rentals falling in numbers while short term rentals skyrocket, with hosts having to deal with serious competition. Since the host community consists of many folks who are depending on the income to actually create enough money to pay their monthly rent or mortgage and payments are for the place they live in themselves, then the original premise of a "sharing community" is maintained. If property managers or apartment owners are allowed to list multiple units, then there is more loss of long term rentals and the community at large suffers while the property owners circumvent the law for increased profits. In our STR law a tenant cannot become a host without written permission from the property owner and cannot have guests more than 90 days per year. A homeowner host may have guests all year long, as long as the host is present. The homeowner may only host 90 days per year if they are off site.

Vivian232
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

is this still active?