Canadian host getting paid

Canadian host getting paid

When trying to set up payments within the Airbnb app I only see 2 options for setting up payments...  PayPal and Bank Transfer.  I'd like to use Direct Deposit into a RBC account.  Not possible?

9 Replies 9
Linda-Cantner0
Level 2
Qualicum Beach, CA

Hi Tony, With respect to your question, It would be safer to get paid through PayPal and then from PayPal you can direct deposit into your bank account. Paypal is also faster.  I'm wondering if you know the details when you are Canadian.   I'm Canadian, my property is in Canada, my bank is Canadian but yet I get paid out from Airbnb in US funds to Paypal.  I have called twice on this issue.

The problems are NO matter how you get paid out:

1. You will pay the exchange rate 2 times. First if you are showing Canadian funds setting (and if you are like me my guests are mostly Canadian and want to pay in Canadian funds, your guest will be charged then in Canadian, so the invoice from Airbnb shows Canadian dollars but upon payout, you will pay the exchange + fees on Airbnb changing the currency to their US dollars and then once you receive,  you will pay the exchange rate back again to put it into your Canadian RBC bank account.  

2. If you go into, HELP, and search Currency payouts, select the question: Can I select the payout currency? The answer says no, you can not change currency, it is based on your account address (mine is in Canada), however they keep paying out in US dollars.  I have called Airbnb 2 times on this issue as when I look at my payout amount, it shows in one case $1649 CDN however, I got paid $1217 US and then to put that into my Canadian bank account, the exchanged value has reduced to $1496.12. So payout goes in CDN from $1649 to $1496.12, over $150 has disappeared as the bank rate always over compensates to hedge the rate.  So help section is not true and the phone line people have told me a) they will change it - DID NOT b) that they are a US company and pay in US funds c) told me it's my bank - but when I show them clearly on their website all the transactions in  the payout section/what guests pay section/ that they are paying me in US funds  c) will turn it over to banking who haven't answered.  Just letting you know..... 

Hi Chris and Linda,

Is this still an issue? We’ve had the same problem!

Thanks!

Briana

Bradley-and-Sweet0
Level 1
Madeira Park, Canada

We had no issue with getting funds in CAD to our Canadian bank. We don’t pay any bank service fees and the money is generally received in about 2 days. 

Where we did have have an issue is setting up the payout method. I could never get past the page requiring Swift Codes and Iban numbers. I think I had to revert to a link sent to me by email from Airbnb where you just enter your account info.  It’s silly. Once you indicate Canada you shouldn’t have this issue. Airbnb needs to work on this. 

Grier0
Level 2
Highland Grove, Canada

Is it possible to open a US dollar Canadian account and get paid in US dollars from Airbnb to Canada?

Anita801
Level 1
Toronto, CA

If you ask them to deposit to Paypal, will it stay in USD and you can then use it for USD purchases from Paypal?  Does Paypal take a commission or do you get the full amount that AirBnB says you will?  For the Canadian bank account deposit, how much did you lose in the exchange from USD to CAD?  I'm ok being paid in either currency, I just want to minimize my losses.

@Anita801  I use the bank deposit option to my Canadian bank. My listing is in Canadian dollars and I've never had any conversion happen- my nightly fee , minus the 3% Airbnb charges hosts as a service fee, is what appears in my account.

Sarah how did you set up the bank transfer when I tried it was asking for IBAN and Swift not even sure what these things are. Did I miss a step? 

@Christina985  Canada uses Swift codes, not IBANs. They are a routing code. Your bank can tell you what their Swift code is, or you can easily look up Swift codes for various banks and branches with a Google search. I have no idea if you missed a step, because I have no idea what information you already filled out. I would't remember anyway, since it was years ago that I first signed up. If you fill out all the required fields and still have a problem, give Airbnb a call to help you sort it out.

Wow no answers to all those great questions … I’m lost 

I’m having my first guest n I can’t find my money