Cancelation of booking

Natalia184
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Cancelation of booking

Hello. I got some problem with cancelletion. I've got one person that wanted to book for whole month and before I aproved her booking someone booked instantly. I explained to the second guest that I have one person which asked me for room before, she want to book all month. As she saw the room now she wanted to book all month. I cancelled the other booking (was just few days), I informed my guest about difficulties and till there is everything fine. The only problem is that now she cannot book all month, even after I cancel other booking is still showing "this dates are not available". What can I do with that?

10 Replies 10
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Natalia184

Blocking the dates is one of the penalties for a host cancellation.  

The only thing you can do is set up a ghost listing.

If you do not want guests to book instantly, turn that option off.  

@Marit-Anne0 Really?!  I was unaware of this.  Do you have a link so I can educate myself further?

What is a ghost listing? I also got instant booked and canceled a guest. My days are blocked off now. I had no clue and still learning how Airbnb works. Wish there was something else I could do to fix it.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello @Natalia184 why the hell did you cancel a booking, you should never do that, don't you imagine the guest has made travel arrangements after booking with you ? 

Maria758
Level 9
Washington, DC

Hola @Natalia184!

@Marit-Anne0 is correct, your calendar will stay blocked and you won't be able to accept another reservation for the same dates of the canceled reservation should you cancel a guest reservation.  Here is additional informtion regarding penalties when you cancel reservations as a host:

I’m a host. What penalties apply if I need to cancel a reservation?

Because cancellations disrupt guests' plans and impact confidence in the Airbnb community, the following penalties will be applied for host cancellations.

Cancellation fee. The fee will be waived for your first cancellation within a 6-month period. After that, the following fee will be deducted from your first payout after a cancellation. The amount deducted will depend on when you accepted the reservation and how soon before check-in you canceled it:

• More than 7 days before check-in, we’ll deduct $50 from your next payout
  • Less than 7 days before check-in, we’ll deduct $100 from your next payout

Automated review. If you cancel before the day of check-in, an automated review will be posted to your listing's profile indicating that you canceled one of your reservations. These reviews can't be removed, but you can always write a public response to clarify why you needed to cancel.

Guest review. If you cancel on the day of check-in or later, guests can leave a public review on your listing’s profile.

Unavailable/blocked calendar. Your calendar will stay blocked and you won't be able to accept another reservation for the same dates of the canceled reservation.

Loss of eligibility for Superhost status. You won't be eligible to earn Superhost status for one year after your most recent cancellation.

Account suspension. If you cancel 3 or more reservations within a year, we may deactivate your listing.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, there will be no exceptions to our updated cancellation policy.

(Source: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

See if you can salvage the reservation by requesting the potential guest to change their dates of travel.  Otherwise, if they are still interested, BLOCK THOSE DATES NOW, or have them complete the book, while you are searching for a resolution.  

Here are some additoinal sources that can help you with that:

Airbnb Help Center:  https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/help

Airbnb Help Board:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/bd-p/Community-Help-EN

Moving forward, if you receive an inquiry from a potential guests who has not yet booked, or you would like further information on, block the dates they are requesting and notify them that you will only hold these dates for a certain period of time before putting it back on market, usually 24 hours.  This is also a way to influence faster booking.

Change your setting to "Instant Book."  Personally, I find the "Instant Book" feature very useful for me, and our listing.  However, in some cases, such as yours, this may be best left inactive.  Here's how:

How do I turn Instant Book on or off?

You can turn Instant Book on or off from the Manage Listing section of your account under booking settings. To turn Instant Book on or off:

1. Go to Manage Listings on airbnb.com
  2. On the listing you want to edit, click Manage Listing
  3. Above your listing's photo, click Bookings settings
  4. Under Who can book instantly? make a selection for which guests can reserve your listing using Instant Book

(Source:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1510/how-do-i-turn-instant-book-on-or-off)

Hope this is helpful.  Please let me know if you have any further questions. Happy to Help!

Happy Hosting!

Izzie, Co-Host

LOV Puerto Rico

The same thing happen to me I got instant booked and another guest inquired to stay for a week. I canceled and now my week is blocked off?  I am new to Airbnb and this is just a bummer. But I am also learning. I'm wondering is there any options for us?  

This also had this just happened to me. I am new to Air Bnb and I hadn't the exact dates available so I wasn't able to accommodate my guest request so I had to cancel. Now it appears that the days are all blocked out. The guest still wants to book but now they cannot as dates are blocked. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to ask Air Bnb if its possible to change this? It was a first time mistake. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Katie333 Ring customer service and plead ignorance, it sometimes works.

Click the link for ways to Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide