Canceling a Guest's Reservation Because of Bugs?

Monaco1
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

Canceling a Guest's Reservation Because of Bugs?

Hey guys,

I'm not sure what I should do. The week after I started Airbnb, I noticed a strong increase in bugs in my apartment. My guest also started to complain about the issue and its HURTING my ratings.

I got a note from my complex saying that other buildings were expericing the same issues and they were going to spend the week spray from bugs. 

Anyways, because of this issue, I have recieved lots of negetive reviews about bugs being an issue in the apartment. I'm thinking about canceling an upcoming guest's reservation to resolve the bug problem. However, I know cancellations are frowned upon by Airbnb.

What would you guys do? Would you take the hit and cancel the reservation so you can spend a week resolving the bug problem or wait until next week when the guest leaves? 

Thank you! 

Monaco ****

10 Replies 10
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Monaco1 If it's just one reservation, contact your guest, explain the probem, offer a discount and let them decide what to do. Make sure there are no other issues with the lodging. Avoid cancellation, though. It's always scathing.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Monaco1

I believe bug spraying would count as an extenuating circumstance under which you can cancel penalty free.  You would need to contact airbnb with the issue and have them do the cancellation.  

@Marit-Anne0 I'm not sure how Airbnb would classify @Monaco1's issue...

This is the only one from the policy that might apply:

"Severe property damage or unforeseen maintenance issues that directly impact the ability to host safely "

The claim that it is "severe" or "unforeseen" is highly questionable.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4

One can only hope that common sense apply.  

A bug infestion must qualify as unforeseen - nobody invited them !

And bug spraying is poisonous and the place will be deemed inhabitable.  If inhabitable does not qualify, I do not know what would.  

If guests cannot stay in the apartment, it is severe.

Hi @Marit-Anne0, please let the group know how this resolves. 

I am totally in agreement that this would qualify a cancellation without penalty.  Sleeping in a bug-infested house is like sleeping in a HORROR MOVIE that you can't shut off.

I've had three experiences as a guest--super well-meaning hosts, super nice places... all three were cleaned well and regularly HOWEVER, in one home (a separate bungalo on the grounds), the bed had not been used/refreshed in some time and a spider had made a nest.  A tiny baby spider crawled into my ear!  WOW, could I ever hear THAT!  I ended up squishing it with a hair pin--yes, inside my ear.  Gross.  I was somewhat traumatized.  The second one was a exquisite villa on the beach in Baja California, Mexico.  The host warned me about getting up at night to use the restroom because of the scorpions.  Nice.  NOT.  I did not pee that night.  Nor did I sleep very well.  The third was a quaint little cottage... the host slept downstairs while my husband and I had the house.  The infestation had to have been recent--I am certain she wasn't aware (the place was neat as a pin) but an incredible rat infestation--and they came ALIVE that night.  HOLY COW, that was amazing!  Turn the horror movie up to TEN.  They were crawling and climbing EVERYWHERE.  No one saw this coming, for sure. 

Definitely cancel, plead extenuating circumstances, fix the problem and get back in business!

Cheers!

Kim
Monaco1
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for the advice! I called Airbnb earlier this morning and they were able to resolve the cancellation - without penalties!

I blocked off the next two weeks so I can resolve this issue. One of the maintenance men told me my next door neighbor moved out of my building and when that happens, they fumigate the entire unit.

Therefore, the roaches scurried to my unit to seek refuge. 😞

Anyways, I'm working diligently to get the issue resolved. I'm probably going to take matter into my own hands and do my own extermination since maintenance hasn't been much help! All they do is spray the effected areas but in my experience, it just makes them crawl somewhere else in the house. EEK!

I'm so happy Airbnb was able to work with me. I'm working very hard to gain Super-host status and a cancellation would  impede the progress to my goal.

Thanks again everyone!
Monaco ****

@Monaco1 wonderful.............I just knew they would make it all OK.............so sorry you are having this awful mess. you are right, if someone is spraying and others are not...........guess where they go? So everything, everywhere has to be sprayed/bombed or whatever. Hope it gets resolved quickly for you and all will be well soon. Best to you, Clara

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I suggest that you use "boric acid" powder as well as "bug bombs". Spread the boric acid along the edges where the wall meets the floors and into all cracks. Spread the powder under the sink and behind the stove. The bugs eat the boric acid and the foggers kill on contact(supposedly). You will never get rid of roaches without using boric acid. 

I would most definitely cancel at least a two week window and bomb the place three times and spread the boric acid. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Monaco1,

I'm so pleased to hear you have managed to sort your future bookings out, I think you did the right thing. I hope you can get the bugs sorted out quickly and you can look forward to welcoming guests back soon.

Just mentioning in @Kimberly54@Marit-Anne0 and @Marzena4, as I am sure they are keen to hear your update. 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Whew!  What a topic!  Someone call Steven Spielberg?

@Lizzie@Monaco1@Rene-and-Zac0@Clara116@Marit-Anne0,  Just ONE more suggestion?  GLUE TRAPS.  One brand in the US is Roach Motel, and I think their motto is, "They check, but can't check out!"  No poison, they're just stuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roach_Motel_(insect_trap)   If this link doesn't post look up Roach Motel, Wikipedia.

Lots of them out there.  There are also open glue-traps...essentially a tray of glue.  Bugs, or other 'unregistered visitors'  *)  crawl on and then go out with the trash.  Be careful where you put them because if you step on one... 😉   Any kind of glue tray will give you a bit of a sense as to how you are progressing. 

Thanks to everyone for playing! 

Kim