Cancellation Loophole

Alex460
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Cancellation Loophole

Immediately after full lockdown Airbnb allowed shared occupancy hosting again but renewed their browbeating of hosts in order to cost us money.  One of the things they practically forced me to do was change my cancellation from "STRICT"  After getting screwed on "Flexible" I tried "moderate", which from the brief description - full refund up to five days prior to stay - seemed fair.   However, the description didn't include a massive loophole:  A guest could cancel the day of arrival, pay the first day, and then get 50 percent back for all remaining days.  If the same guest cancelled the day before arrival, he or she would lose everything.

I was burned by this recently, and when I escalated, the staff member was sympathetic but admitted that not only is this a designed loophole, it is not fully disclosed to hosts when they choose the cancellation policy (you have to look elsewhere on the website).   

Good to see that nothing has changed with this company's hostility to towards hosts.  

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alex460 if there is one thing I have learnt it is to read everything in business very carefully. If there is another it is to take control of my own destiny and not get bullied into any change to the policy I want to choose.