Cancellation after check-in based on false reasons

Praveen7
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Cancellation after check-in based on false reasons

Dear All, 

I am a host in UK. I have a new house less than a year old with all new furniture and appliances. A guest checked in and gave him a house tour where I explained how to use everything in my house (heating, hot water, etc). I saw the guest coming out after a shower on day 1 night (09:30 pm). On day 2, I took a shower at 09:00am and the water was steaming hot. On day 2 after I left the property, at 11:30 am the guest said he couldnt get any hot water. Although I had automated heating, I suggested the guest to turn on the boost. However the guest said it didnt work and he checked out the property stating there was not hot water. 

I returned home, i did see my bathroom was flooded with water and it moved to other rooms as well. I checked for hot water and I am getting hot water in my house on day 3, 01:00am. The guest is simply lying that there was no hot water at my property and he left the property with my house keys. Could you tell me what should I do in such situations please. 

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Praveen7  Hopefully you have some communication with the guest on the Air BNB messaging system regarding this issue.  Did the guest cancel or demand a refund?  Perhaps you should call Air BNB and explain your situation.  Here is a guide to contacting Air BNB

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Praveen7
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Linda, 

Thanks a lot for the useful info. It is much appreciated.I will call Airbnb and explain the situation. 

Kind Regards, 

Praveen

Madison17
Level 2
Charleston, SC

That's pretty strange... did he return or cancel? My main concern would have been him leaving with the keys to the house like that, which is why I no longer provide keys to my apartment to guests. I got a lock with a keypad so I don't have to worry about guests taking keys to my home and whether they'll lose them, leave with them, disappear, etc. I'd suggest getting one yourself for future bookings and to help avoid any potential situations.

We just got this awesome new keypad and I absolutely love it! It's synced to our AirBNB calendar and each time a guest books a stay, it auto sends them a confirmation email with a newly generated key code and instructions. It auto updates and changes itself on check in and check out time, and I don't have to do a thing or worry at all. Here's a link so you can check it out, I highly recommend: 

https://www.amazon.com/AirLocking-Smart-Lock-for-AirBNB/dp/B0759NPC5Y/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=airloc...

Praveen7
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's been a very long time. I followed Linda's advice, reported to Airbnb immediately and also requested them to send a person to check the water heating system. I am not sure what he did and what was his intent. It turned out to be in my favour.

It was very strange. I suspect he had a friend living nearby and inorder to do early cancellation he did something. I would have offered him a refund if he had taken time to explain. But still couldn't figure out what was the real motive. Thanks all