Cancellation due to COVID-19 (or not?)

Olga827
Level 1
Queenstown, NZ

Cancellation due to COVID-19 (or not?)

Hi All

I am new to AirBnb (started in Feb 2020) and have little unit with 1 room with ensuite in Queenstown, New Zealand ( basically helps me pay mortgage)

My AirBnb was going super well with occupancy rates close to 100% and 5 star reviews.

With the coronavirus outbreak I have had half of March, April and May almost fully cancelled since NZ implemented the mandatory self-isolation rules for all international visitors.

Recently I got new booking (made after 14th March) for 14 days. I asked guests if this was to self-isolate and they said yes. I suspect that they weren’t planning to self-isolate but realised that hosts will be watching them. In their initial message they said that they were planning to explore Queenstown.

I reiterated that there is no full kitchen, only tea station but I am happy to provide microwave and help with takeaway delivery. I actually went and bought a new microwave and a coffee machine to make their stay comfortable. 

Today they sent cancellation request as they decided that they want full kitchen. They said in the cancellation request, however, that they are cancelling due to COVID-19 (which is lie).  My ad never promised full kitchen so I don't think I did anything wrong.

As booking was made after 14th March, I don’t really have to refund.  We have a chat and they are playing the crisis card, and asking for understanding.

So I do understand but this did cause inconvenience for me and financial impact. They most probably want to rebook a place with a kitchen as take away might not be an option for them.

I can’t see a button in the cancellation request that says something like “offer partial” refund which I think will be fair.

What would you do? I find this situation difficult, I have 20 hrs to decide.

Cheers

Olga

0 Replies 0