Cancellation for Guest

Melissa1244
Level 2
Corpus Christi, TX

Cancellation for Guest

Quick Question- I had my reservations set for non -refundable the (new option it gives us) and customer emailed and let me know she chose the wrong date on her reservation then asked if I could change it. On the date she wants it is of course NOT Available. I went to settings to pick the moderate refundable option to see if this allowed her to cancel on her end since the reservation is in 30 days figured that would allow her to cancel. It has not allowed her to cancel and if I do it is a penalty. There are no weird reasons for cancelling other than she picked the wrong date, not able to move to my airbnb due to booked for her date already. Any suggestions?

11 Replies 11
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Melissa1244 ๐Ÿ™‚

If you would like to give your guest a refund despite having non refundable/strict cancellation policy just contact airbnb. They can read the correspondence between you and the guest and will be able to refund the guest and cancel the booking from their side. 

Changing the cancellation policy will only effect future bookings. 

Thank you @Sandra856  appreciate that for sure! Didnt know about that. 

@Melissa1244 I see no reason that you need to involve Airbnb in this, since it's not really your problem. You can tell the guest that Airbnb handles the money and cancellations side of things and that you can't refund her directly because you aren't paid out until after the check in date. All of this is true.

What some hosts offer is to issue a partial refund in the event that the dates are rebooked. Should this be your preference, you can send money to the guest via the Resolutions tool. But I don't recommend doing this before you've received payment. 

Thank you @Anonymous  I really appreciate that. Great call on that for sure. I didnt want to pay a fee as well as hurt my ratings. 

Stuart269
Level 1
Roybridge, GB

I think the best thing to do is explain to your guest that you don't want to upset your rating and ask them to contact air bnb. Best of luck with it. 

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

@Melissa1244 for the future, there are people who book places and shop around for a better deal, then ask for a cancellation. As @Anonymous notes, always send them to ABB. There are also those who, when the host does not cooperate with a cancellation request, attempt to change the date to one outside the non-refundable window and then cancel without consequence. 

We like to think everyone is considerate, and kind. They are not.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I like how the other hosts are able to provide suggestions and perspective. While most guests are straightforward some know how to work the system to the detriment of the host.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Melissa1244 

The whole idea of this non refundable payment thing is that the host will be protected, but in order to be protected you take a hit of 10% on all your reservations.

Are you now telling us the guest is hassling you because they can't cancel with refund, something they may not even have been aware of, because your listing price is automatically discounted to allow for it!

What on earth is the point of loosing 10% of every booking for no safeguard from disgruntled guests?

Seems like a total no-brainer to me!

As a rule I have great sympathy for hosts where payouts are concerned, we so often see them stood up.

But, remember Melissa, you are the one who elected to drop that 10% in order to guarantee your payout.

It's not really Airbnb's problem if they simply fulfilled their part of the deal you elected to accept!    

We have found out over the years these discount offers are really nothing more than a marketing tool....just another way to get hosts to lower their listing price, and I think Melissa you are finding this is simply just another example!

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4 

The "non-refundable" banner is clearly visible to and well-signalled to booking guests, at several stages of the process. 

Not applicable in this case, but in general, Extenuating Circumstances trumps the non-refundable policy, rendering it completely worthless. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Susan17 

Thanks for filling in my blanks Susan, I would never be tempted to use it as a host and I have not come across it as a guest, so it's handy to know how it is actually displayed on a booking page.

One thing you can rest assured Susan, 'cause and effect' would have thoroughly dismantled the scenarios and established that the only ones that would benefit from this 'initiative' would be Airbnb! 

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 

Ain't that the truth, Rob! ๐Ÿ˜‰