Cancellation

Rachelle-And-Joseph0
Level 3
Huntsville, Canada

Cancellation

Hi everyone

I need your help or suggestions.

I have an instant booking for one night on August 10th and I have just lost a family member and funeral is on the 11th and I need the apartment for my family who are coming from out of town.

How bad is to to cancel a guest.  I realize it's short notice however this is a "one off" deal.  They have requested very late check in and early check out to play golf....

I know I will loose face on Airbnb with this one if I cancel.  Should I send a message to the guest first to let them know?  Does Airbnb post the reason why I had to cancel?

HELP me please

9 Replies 9
Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

If you contact them and tell them it's due to a death they usually waive the penalty. 

Hi the penalty fee doesn't bother me...it's the mark on my listing that I cancelled or is that what you are refering to?

How about you ask the guest to cancel by explaining your situation, and offer the guest one night payment for a different place as a compensation if guest cancels?

HI

Thanking you for your reply....With all that has happened, I am not thinking properly and need to be with family.  Also with all family travelling from far away...my house will be busy and perhaps disruptive for any guests, therefore I would probably get a bad review for noise, too many cars, etc...

Truly need to put family first in this situation

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Rachelle-And-Joseph0 my condolences, you can give airbnb a call and might be eligible for extenuating circumstances which make you free from all penalties.

Thank you for the information...when you say contact or call where do I find the telephone number....I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Anyways...last night was horrible night for me and I thought to myself...what am I doing?  My family just passed away and I am worried about Airbnb....Family always comes 1st....so I just used the button on the Reservation tab and cancelled.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Rachelle-And-Joseph0

Perhaps you can use the income to house your guests at a different airbnb ? I have done so myself when my place was occupied with guests and I needed somewhere to stay locally - booked an airbnb in the same price range.  

Could be less stressful for yourself as well.  Loosing a family memeber is bad enough - having to deal with relatives as well could be quite stressful.  

thank you for your insight....I have had a horrible night stressing over both (death and cancellation) and decided that Family comes 1st and I need to be with them at this point in time and cancelled with an explanation.  I would rather have my family here then strangers and worry about being a good host to strangers....

If Airbnb wants to punish me by adding an icon for cancellation and not publicly state why then so be it.  I have left a message with the client also through the Airbnb ap...

Thanks again

Hello @Rachelle-And-Joseph0,

You can contact Airbnb customer services to explain the extenuating circumstances at https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us#/

or Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide

Steve.