Cancellations - Guest error

Chloe267
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Cancellations - Guest error

I have a guest booked to stay arriving from a country which means she must adhere to a 14 day quarantine, this has been in place prior to her booking my property. She has now contacted me and been rather rude and then demanding I change my cancellation policy to suit her, I advised that as the need to quarantine was in place when she booked and she queried my cancellation policy prior to booking, I would not be willing to change it. 

I have since been advised she has now raised a complaint in regards to it, does anyone have any tips on what I can and should do? 

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Chloe267 An interesting situation as it would definitely be illegal for her to stay with you (and potentially for you to host her - not sure on this one).

Why did you accept the booking if the need for quarantine existed at that time?

I think the best thing to do is allow her to cancel and hope she loses the Airbnb service fee.

I had believed she would be completing quarantine  prior to arriving at mine due to a discussion had. She has since stated she only planned on arriving 9 days prior. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Does the 'law of frustrated contracts' not apply in these circumstances @Mike-And-Jane0 ?

- Meaning that if gov. regs state @Chloe267 can not legally host this guest on those dates, then Chloe is obliged to refund in full?

@Helen350 I don't think it applies as the guest knowingly entered into a contract that would be illegal. I think that puts the fault clearly on the guest.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Chloe267 I would just leave her to it. I assume she was the one who 'advised' you about her complaint? Not sure how far 'complaining' will get her, as your cancellation policy is clear, and she booked understanding what it was. 

Chloe267
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I was contacted by Airbnb support. I did decline her request and now it would seem she is trying to bully me into changing my policy. 

The guest has now advised she has no intention of keeping the booking but will not cancel until the last minute as it means she will be charged the same but I cannot allow anyone else to book. It's all rather frustrating, I'm not sure if I report her behaviour Airbnb will take any action as they always favour the guest. 

@Airbnb any guidance? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Chloe267 

You are completely in the right on this. You had previously discussions with the guests who confirmed to you that she would be quarantining before her arrival with you.

She has changed her plans.

Airbnb and the guest will continue to try and pressurise you to refund the guest.  Stand firm and make sure you decline any requests for you to do so promptly.

Why would you mind if the guest keeps the booking and cancels at the last minute? You will still get paid in full and won't have to do any work. Win. Win as far as most hosts are concerned.

Chloe267
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I thought I'd only get 50% regardless of when they cancel. Perhaps I've misunderstood. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You have misunderstood. Have a look at how the cancellation policies work on Airbnb Help website. @Chloe267 

If you have a strict policy if she cancels at the last minute you will get paid out in full.