Cancellations and commitment rate

Julie-and-Grietje0
Level 2
Bruges, Belgium

Cancellations and commitment rate

Hi All,

we have had to cancel a booking request immediately after it was submitted via direct booking because we had a booking confirmed for the same dates one minute earlier via another site.

we have superhost status and I was wondering how this will impact this as we need 100% commitment rate to remain a 'superhost'.

This is very important to us so we would like to know what we can do about this.

Please help !

Julie

16 Replies 16

Bye bye Superhost Status....  conflicting dates in the calendars due to using 2 sites to book is not an acceptable extenuating circumstance.  All of this information is in the Help Center: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/how-do-host-cancellation-penalties-work

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy

seriously??

Is there any other way around this? this just seems unfair !

It was a matter of minutes only!

Can I still cancel the other booking and accept this one then??

And for how long can I not be a superhost ??

You have Instant Booking on and if the other site you use also allows that was bound to happen eventually, and will happen again.

David

Unfortunately not - the damage is done at this point.

That is why it is important to have intimate knowledge with the hosting rules of the site.

And for how long can I not be a Superhost anymore ??

Julie 

I think it would be helpful for you if you familiarised yourself with information BNB put on their site to help hosts like yourself understand how their booking service works.

All the questions you are asking are covered in information around cancelling bookings.

Maybe pause your listing until you have a better understanding of how things work.

Hey Julie

If you are taking bookings from more than one site why do you allow Instant Booking on your BNB listings - this is asking for trouble as you have no control over who books. Turn off instant booking and make sure you integrate your calendar.

However one thing might save you if you have Instant Book on I understand you can cancel up to three times without penalty. Give BNB a call and see if they can help.

For Instant Book hosts only

Hosts who use Instant Book may be able to cancel penalty-free if they have concerns about the reservation or a guest’s behavior. Calendar inaccuracy, confusion about pricing or availability, and extenuating circumstances are not covered by this policy.

If you're an Instant Book host and have concerns about a reservation or a guest's behavior:

1. Go to Your Reservations and find the reservation you need to cancel
  2. Click Change or Cancel
  3. Select “I’m uncomfortable with the guest’s behavior”
  4. Provide a reason for the cancellation

Once you complete these steps, the host cancellation penalties for this reservation will be waived, and we’ll help your guest find another place to stay for their trip.

If it's within 24 hours of check-in, contact us instead.

David

Will "I'm uncomfortable with this guest's behaviour" impact the guest negatively? A person is hardly a good host (let alone super?) if he casts aspersions on someone's behaviour simply because that person booked something in good faith a few minutes after someone else did on another site. 

Wouldn't the truth, and taking the consequences, be the better choice? That looks preachy, but I really am asking. Should we make someone else look bad in order not to take a hit? I would hate to be that guest.

I will definitely do this.

thanks for your help, I really hope this is the case ! We are working so hard to have this superhost status, make one mistake, so it would be a shame to lose all the good work !

I will let you know the outcome as well!

Thanks Helen!

Julie

"We are working so hard to have this superhost status". I gave up caring about SH status a while back, when we had it it made no difference whatsoever to our bookings and fortunately we are full throughout the summer season.

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen0 there are strict rules that govern whether you can cancel an instant booking. It's not as simple as you can cancel up to three times without penalty.

>> Loss of eligibility for Superhost status. You won't be eligible to earn Superhost status for one year after your most recent cancellation.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

Amy42
Level 4
Oakland, CA

I would think an alternative would be to cancel the booking you got on the other site, if it would not negatively impact your status there, and keep the AirBnb booking if cancelling it has more impact to your status. You just have to weigh how much you want the longer booking or that guest from Airbnb vs. the ongoing status.