Cancellations

Claudia-and-Mark0
Level 2
Michigan, United States

Cancellations

Have you been experiencing more cancellations in the last few months? When someone cancels without an explanation do you send them a message?

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Claudia-and-Mark0  A guest who doesn't have the manners to send the host a message when they cancel isn't worth wasting any more time on, IMO.

If I have a guest who sends a nice message saying they just came down with a terrible flu and sorry they had to cancel, I'd respond, saying I hope they recover soon and hopefully book with me in the future, but it would seem to be pointless to message a guest who just cancels with no communication. It's not like I'd even want them to book again.

Claudia-and-Mark0
Level 2
Michigan, United States

That has been what I have been doing, responding to those who have explained and not to those with no explanations. I was just wondering if Covid has had an impact causing more cancellations.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Claudia-and-Mark0 @Sarah977 

I have not recently had a lot of cancellations but I certainly did in mid 2020.

I always check with guests who cancel without a message because at least three times in my experience the guest did not cancel and was horrified to learn it appeared that they had. This can happen when the guest’s second payment fails and they miss notices from Airbnb about it. Airbnb cancels the reservation but it appears to the host as if the guest did.

@Lisa723  Good catch. I know that can happen, but forgot about the possibility.

Good information.  Thank you.