Carpet Damage

John21
Level 1
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Carpet Damage

Hi,

I have had a guest burn a 4-5" spot on the living area carpet with a curling iron and am hoping to get some advice.  The guest texted me during their stay letting me know that they had accidentally dropped the curling iron and burned the carpet saying they were sorry and if there was anything they can do to remedy the situation.  They texted a picture, however it was hard to assess so I replied and said that unfortunately I do not think there is much they can do and that I will have to look at it when I return.

It is too bad as they were a really great guest but this will cost some money to fix.  If anyone has any recommendations on what I should do that would be much appreciated.

All the best,

John

12 Replies 12
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Get a carpet professional to give you an estimate, and then submit a claim for damages on the guest's security deposit, via www.airbnb.com/resolutions. 

Do this quickly, as you must submit a claim within 48 hrs of when guest departs.  If you have no estimate by then, simply submit a larger $ amount than you believe the repair will cost and say estimate is forthcoming and damage estimate will be amended with more info. 

John21
Level 1
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for the reply Deborah, much appreciated!

So did they come thru with the full amount?

They offered me $25.00 on a $140.00 carpet spot cleaning.

Kathryn58
Level 2
Collier's End, United Kingdom

My guests checked out on Saturday and I was away for 4 days. My husband told me about a 2 inch hole the guests dog made in the carpet, but as its my business I did nothing until my return. Now Im back Im upset to see how bad the damage is.

We are away again tomorrow and I have not time to get it assesed by insurance until my return.

What can I do if you need to claime witin 48 hours of their departure?

Ellen44
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I've just had 2 guests check out my apartment and have found 7 burn marks on the carpet which look like they were from hair curlers.

I last entered the bedroom, where they were sleeping  last Wednesday to change the bedding/towels and give the ensuite a clean.

There was no visble marks on the carpet but nobody mentioned this to me on check out.

Maybe they thought I would not notice the marks on my carpet but they are clearly visible!

I now have to write a review (generally they were very messy but cleaned up after cooking in the kitchen but the bedroom looked a right state- but who am I to judge people on how they like to live!!) but should I wait until reporting this to Airbnb ?

Any comments much appreciated.

Kind regards

Ellen

Ok this is how it goes....

If you contact the guests immediately,they will usually deny it and give you a bad review if you ask for help with repairs,I have been doing this for 5 years and I am seriously going to go thru another company that offers a better approach.

Also if the guest denies the damage,air b b sides with them ,not you!

So set your prices according and look into VBRO a better deal.

Also I have been considering doing a video before Evey booking carpet walls etc.

But they don't have your back...so think about it .

Take care

Marci837
Level 2
Seaside, OR

Air b b is Backwards!!!

Does Brian even know!!!!?

Why do we a hosts need to raise our prices on EVEYONE  ..... because Airbnb will not cover carpet stain removal .

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marci837 

Marci, when a hotel sets its tariff it builds a certain percentage into that tariff for breakages and periodic replacements. It does this on an actuarial basis. Every guest has it as part of their room cost.

We as hosts need to do the same....we are after all in the same business, why should the rules be any different for us than it is for them.

We say that Airbnb is great because we offer similar accommodation to the public at a vastly reduced rate. That is our fault not the hotels, we undersell what we offer, often cutting each others throats in a price war to compete with each other.....and in doing so not making allowances for the necessary incidental costs involved. And Airbnb love it, the cheaper the better, the more guests they attract. But that does not make Airbnb responsible, we offer it, we cover the cost of providing it!

We expect Airbnb to do that.......they don't. I would say they were possibly quite generous in offering you $25 on a carpet clean. I would have expected them to say, carpet cleaning falls under the banner of regular maintenance and not eligible for compensation. 

Cheers........Rob 

Absolutely not.!

Or come clean Air bnb and reveal to your hosts the risk they take, because air bnb doesn't have your back.

VBRO operates much better

Also,the damage was carpet stains that did not come out from the professional cleaning.

So I have damage carpet to welcome my new guest s and a bad review because I was following the rules.

I am smarter now,

I eat damage s for air bnb and get great reviews! I also charge air bnb customer s more than fair platforms.

You only think air bnb is great until you need them,then you will see.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marci837 

I am on both and although I have not put VRBO (I think you meant to write) to the test, but neither have I with Airbnb. A small % of every hosting night goes into a fund to cover incidentals and, for me it works, I just put things right, get on with hosting without needless hassles.

Marci, if you expect help you are going to be disappointed sooner or later. If you don't expect help you will remain a much happier host.

Cheers.......Rob

Rob,

I expect better.

I don't think Brian is even aware of how back wards this business is running.

And you have also allowed yourself to be confused if you think that

1. All customer should pay for damages.

2.Guests decided what they destroy

3.Hosts should eat all damages to avoid bad reviews.