Cases over the white beds: How to deter guests

Marco65
Level 5
Rome, Italy

Cases over the white beds: How to deter guests

Could you suggest some extremely polite words to ask guests not to put their backpacks and luggage (less cleaned) on white beds? The grease of the casing rollers, on the other hand, is difficult to remove. And, yes, call me picky.

Marco

18 Replies 18
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Marco65 Provide a luggage rack and feature it prominently in the room, if your space allows for it. That's what we did, and we haven't had any issues: we also have white linens and duvet covers. We bought ours on Amazon for less than $50 Canadian, and it's very nice.

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

I agree with @Alexandra316@Marco65... Luggage racks are inexpensive...however I handled it two ways to ensure easier compliance; I provide a luggage rack, but also have a folded coverlet at the foot of the bed, covering from left to right. It is somehow just second nature for guests wanting to put luggage on beds. Most guests place their luggage on this while unpacking. I got my coverlets in a polyester mix to make cleaning easier. I toss it in the washer (alone) at the end of each guest's stay. Even in white, they come clean easily.

I like your idea @Jann3: I think I will add a coverlet to protect the end of the bed. Some of them, like the "bed scarf" type, make it look even more hotel-like. I never thought of them having a practical purpose before, but that's probably why they're there.

@Jann3 May I ask you where did you buy yours? I like them so much.

I bought mine at JCPenney. They are Royal Velvet brand and are really beautiful but rugged and hold up to many, many washings.

The Royal Velvet/JCPenney part number is: 721/7388/010406

Here is the link... You can get them shipped there via Borderfree. You can even pay in local currency! Here is the direct link to the item:

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/royal-velvet-mini-diamond-3-pc-coverlet-set/pp5005900446

Here is the link to how to order via Borderfree:

https://www.jcpenney.com/jsp/customerservice/serviceContent.jsp?pageId=pg4006000010&lang=en

Dear @Jann3 thanks so much for the information and the link, I have really appreciated it.

I would have been interested in buying them but it seems, odd to say, that many countries, Italy included, are not allowed to enter their website!

Hi @Marco65,  I bought my set on Amazon.  I don't recall the brand now, but totally waterproof, bed-bug (? eeew!) proof, stain proof.  And even with the mattress, incredibly easy to put on--simple, one-person job.

Kim
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Marco65 and all,

Yes, yes, and yes to all the great advice you've gotten.  And when you have that luggage rack, set it up before the guests come.  I have to admit that as a very frequent business traveler (in hotels), I never thought twice about throwing my suitcase on the bed if there wasn't anything else handy. (Remember, I was tired at the end of a flight or a day of meetings... and convenience was Hyatt's business, right?  Just let me shower and sleep!) 

Travelers, whatever type they are, are in their own little world and outside of their own...and sometimes not quite thinking 'right?'  Not altogether their fault.  It's our job to help them--help us!

Best,

Kim

@Kimberly54 Yes! I leave mine set up all the time. It's a wooden style, so it looks like a nice piece of furniture.

Marco65
Level 5
Rome, Italy

@Alexandra316, @Kimberly54@Jann3Thank you for your advice! I have a band at the end of the bed, much hotel style but it is more decorative than anything else, I should perhaps look for a bed scarf (today I have learned a new word). There are benches in the rooms, but nobody is thinking of using them to rest backpacks or bags, the suitcase holder would only enter a room and often guests have gigantic luggage (true) that could not be put on a suitcase! I begin to think of myself as an abnormal guest, I always carry the suitcase on the ground:)

Marko17
Level 5
Bled, Slovenia

Hey Marco

In your case (if you are really bothered by this issue) I would mention this in the description under "House Rules" or would let them know in the chatbox after the booking is made. Just tell them politly and thats it. Hey.. please... thank you... thats it. 🙂 

But nice idea for the luggage rack. Defenitly buying them! 🙂 

Marco65
Level 5
Rome, Italy

Once again, thanks to all you for the nice replies and suggestions:)

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A luggage rack seems like a great idea, but I have to say, I've never had a problem with guests putting their cases on the beds. Nor would I put my case on the bed when staying in a hotel. I would think this is an obvious no-no, but I guess not.

I have had some sort of black grease marks on towels though, which were impossible to get out, so the towels had to be tossed (annoying as they were part of a full matching bale).  I could only guess that the guests had used them to clean their shoes! Now I'm wondering if they put their suitcase wheels on them somehow, although not sure why anyone would do that.

Hi @Huma0,  you've had Great Luck!

Just thinking here:  as a traveler, you can't read their minds, but you can be certain of a few things:

1) They are out of their 'normal' environment (and therefore may not behave normally)

2) Their 'normal' might not be your 'normal'  (Haha--I'm seeing a LOT of this!)

3) What are their expectations?  Business accommodations at a real hotel vs staying in someone's actual home?

There are so many ways to think this.  Even some of the big hotels ask that you re-use your towels.  If you accept, hang them up.  If you want them changed, leave them on the floor and they will be replaced with fresh towels.  (Saves water, energy, time).  Doesn't change your bill.

We rarely travel together, but from our few shared trips, my husband leaves a tip on the bed (for the hotel maid).  I almost never do unless there's been a spill (?), but at the end of the year I leave something from 'Santa' in the mail box for Alex (our mailman I see nearly every day and bails me out with a loan for a little extra postage if I've mis-calculated), and something for the guys who collect the trash from the curb.  Husband doesn't.  It's just a mind-set. 

I am ALWAYS respectful of hotel provisions (and I think it's pathetic that some people steal soaps!!!).  I'm a good guest--except for the suitcase on the bed if there is no where else to put it (and I will NOT go looking for the stand at 9:00pm to find the thing to put my suitcase on.  If the bed is big enough, suitcase and I can share it. End of a super busy day), and sometimes I really want fresh towels.  Period.  Some days really require an attitude (FRESH TOWELS TODAY, PLEASE), and if I'm paying the bill, the attitude is mine.  

In someone's home, it's a different story.  I'm not a good guest, I'm the BEST guest.  NEVER a suitcase on the bed, combing the room for interesting artifacts (books!), and really experiencing an environment! 

Lots to consider in hosting... and grateful for this forum.

Best,

Kim