Change in city code in Ventura, Ca allowing only rental of a house and not a bedroom in a house!

Jeri4
Level 1
Ventura, CA

Change in city code in Ventura, Ca allowing only rental of a house and not a bedroom in a house!

I was informed in 2014 that it was necessary for me to obtain a short term vacation rental permit for $600 and get a business license in order for me to rent a bedroom in my home and pay a 10% hotel tax to the city every month on my bookings.  I did all that and last week I received a letter from city hall saying that it just discovered that my permit was issued in error because city codes state that a short term vacation rental can only be a whole house and that my money would be refunded.  It also stated that I had to cancel all bookings and change my minimum stay to a 31 day rental, which does not require a permit, business license or hotel tax.  When I went to city hall to discuss the matter I was told that I could honor any bookings I already had through Oct., but could not accept any other bookings for that time period.   I know there are other hosts in Ventura that have only been renting a room in their house and wanted to know their feelings about all this.   I was told that there is going to be a city councel meeting on Sept. 26th and anyone is allowed three mins to talk about a problem.   Is anyone out there going to "lawyer up" over this or try to fight this?  I can't afford to hire a lawyer.

4 Replies 4

Please call us [phone number hidden]. We live on Pomo 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jennifer-And-Brian0,

Lovely to meet you. 

As your post is publicly visible, for safety reasons I have removed your personal information. If you would like to speak with someone else here in the Community Center, I would recommend using the Direct Message function here - just hover over the little image next to each post and click 'Send Message'. 🙂

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lois10
Level 5
Rock Springs, WY

You need to go to the city meeting you don't need a lawyer . Also email all the city Councilmembers with your concerns . But if they aready  have this code in force it wil take work to get them to change it . You may need to form a host group in your area . 

Ian450
Level 1
Ventura, CA

Hello can someone private message me regarding this same issue? thanks