Changes Needed in Cancellation Policy

Answered!
David1668
Level 6
Jacksonville, FL

Changes Needed in Cancellation Policy

Many guests cancel reservations beyond the cancellation date for reasons that don't rise to the standards necessary to receive a refund; perhaps their plans change, they become ill but did not take insurance, or they're unhappy with the property. The current cancellation policy allows no recourse.

I owned a 10-room bed and breakfast for 10 years. When guests had to cancel, I would immediately put the room back into inventory and if it rebooked at the same rate, refund them. The idea of taking money from two guests for the same room made me sick. I just couldn't do it. I think AirBnB should require the same of its hosts.

Also, AirBnB doesn't allow for advance cancellations once the reservation has begun. For example, if a guest arrives for a one-month stay but after arrival their plans change and they have to leave for two weeks, if they cancel immediately, the property is not blocked until their departure but becomes immediately available. This greatly reduces the host's opportunities of re-leasing it.

I'm leaving a property midway through a three-week stay and have an understanding host who will block the property on the calendar for the nights between when I cancel and when I leave, and who will refund me if he rebooks it.

This should be standard practice at AirBnB. There is no reason it shouldn't be.

David

1 Best Answer

I'll join as a plaintiff. I had a terrible property manager/host on a long-term stay, I canceled, and AirBnb and the host both walked away with a lot of money.

View Best Answer in original post

65 Replies 65
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@David1668,

What was your reasoning against purchasing travel insurance?

David1668
Level 6
Jacksonville, FL

I did purchase travel insurance. I just decided I didn't want to stay for 3 weeks after I arrived.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@David1668,

So, you're breaking your reservation agreement because you changed your mind, and since it is not a covered reason under your travel insurance policy, you expect the host to try to get a replacement booking to issue you a refund.  

I know that I wouldn't put too much effort in trying to fulfill this type of request.  First, I will lose at least two days during the remaining booking period, because I have a 48 hour buffer between guest stays to allow time for proper cleaning and sanitization of my spaces.  Secondly, due to the sudden departure there may not be anyone available to clean and turnover the space before the scheduled departure.  Or, it may take a lot of time and cost more to get someone on short notice.

You should include in your recommendation that guests purchase a cancel for any reason travel policy.  That's the best way for adults to take ownership of their decisions and protect their travel investments.

@Debra300 Very good points. The details of each situation will vary widely, thus it’s vital to retain the flexibility to choose how to act on a case by case basis. 
@David1668 

There's no trying to get a replacement guest. You just relist. It's no big deal. If you rebook, and it's only a partial amount of what the guests lost, you just refund them that. And cancel any reason policies are not applicable within a few weeks of the reservation. You don't sound like you want to be nice and helpful, when possible, to your guests.

@David1668  How about the time the host spent dealing with you and your canceled reservation- messaging with you, answering any questions you had,  having to reschedule cleaners, etc. Should they do that for free? Their time is worth nothing? 

As for "being nice and helpful to your guests" - people who cancel before arrival aren't a host's  guests. Guests are people who actually stay and most hosts are quite nice and helpful to them.

THIS IS FUNNY. 99% OF THE TIME THERE IS NO CONVERSATION OR TIME YOU SPENT WHEN THEY BOOKED THE RESERVATION! THIS IS A HOST THAT ENJOYS DOUBLE DIPPING AND USING THE CANCELLATION POLICY TO GAIN A FINANCIAL INCOME. SICKENING AND SAD.

EXACTLY DAVID! THIS IS A BUSINESS WE HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF OUR CUSTOMERS WHICH ARE THE GUESTS AND TRAVELERS THAT ARE BOOKING THROUGH AIRBNB. IF PEOPLE KEEP DOUBLE DIPPING AND STEALING PEOPLES HARD EARNED MONEY AIRBNB WILL KEEP LOSING GUESTS AND TRAVELERS.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@David1668 There are many cancellation policies hosts may choose from. We are all free to choose what suits us best. Guests are also free to choose a listing that has a cancellation policy that suits them best as well. Once agreed to, both parties should adhere to the agreement. Having said that, a host is always free to authorize Airbnb to grant anything from a partial to a full refund. Choice is important. Flexibility is always possible. So is travel insurance. 

Colleen, You don't seem to understand what I said. Currently AirBnB allows cancellations to be an income stream. They should not be. If a guest cancels after the cancellation period, I think the host should be required to re-list the property, and if it rebooks, refund the guest.

@David1668  Airbnb is a listing platform only. A listing platform that already exerts far more control over hosts and their listings/business than it should. Again, choice. Flexibility. It’s all there, as it should be. 

I'm sorry, but you simply aren't addressing my post and do not know what you're talking about besides. Have a blessed day.

@David1668 Cancellations fees are most definitely an income stream, and there isn’t and should not be any moralistic proclamations attached to that. Cancellation fees are even reported on tax forms as a source of revenue.

It may help you to liken it to finance charges and late fees attached to breaking your credit card agreement, or late charges attached to paying your rent late. Both of these are a source of revenue for the associated businesses.

With Airbnb, it’s really simple; The guest and host have an agreement, and fees associated with breaking that agreement.

Some hosts feel guilty if they don’t refund nights rebooked. Or find it “sickening”, as you do. They shouldn’t, IMO. The cancellation fee is exactly that; a fee, or penalty, for breaking an agreement. Not to mention guests might be “double-dipping” themselves, i.e. getting refunded by Airbnb, and also getting refunded from trip insurance or their employer for business trips.

Of course, if a host decides to refund nights rebooked to demonstrate good will, or simply out of the goodness of his/her heart, no judgement there either.

Under no circumstances should Airbnb get involved with dictating the terms of a host’s business. They do enough meddling with those already.

EXACYLYYYYYYY! BUT THESE PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO HEAR THIS BECAUSE THEY ARE USING IT AS AN INCOME STREAM! ITS SAD AND MAKES OTHER HOSTS LOOSE GUESTS AND TRAVLERS!