Changes in the way Airbnb is displayed?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Changes in the way Airbnb is displayed?

I host a lot of guests with dogs; probably 40 to 50% of guests bring their dogs with them. I've never had much of an issue with people asking about it: I mention dogs in the listing text, photos, and in my house rules. Suddenly, though, people have been specifically messaging me to ask if they're accepted, and I can't figure out why, as it's covered in the listing and no one really asks about it (the odd time, people will verify if they have a very large dog or multipe dogs). Did something change in the way that this info is displayed so that it's no longer clear, or am I just getting a run of guests who don't review the listing?

27 Replies 27

@Alexandra316@Suzanne302@John1080

This is a little off topic but instead of these stupid ‘home highlights’ I wish at the top of our listing pages there were little icons that clearly showed the most relevant aspects of the home (that we could choose.) Like a little dog would mean ‘dogs allowed,’ a little non smoking symbol, a little key would mean ‘self check-in.’ Etc. etc. That way it would all be standardized and the guest wouldn’t have to search the listing for our specific wording.

@Emilia42 I totally agree. That's actually an issue for me right now at my cottage, because one of my "home highlights" is the hottub, which is a shared amenity as part of the resort, but there is no clarification about the nature of the amenity. Because it's highlighted, almost every inquiry asks if I have a private hot tub. I wish we could control what's included there.

@Emilia42, that would make the most sense, wouldn't it? That's probably why Airbnb hasn't implemented something like it! 

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Alexandra316

Hi Alexandra!

I personally really like to 100 % confirmed with the host that my super mutt who is middle size dog is really truly welcome. 

I always send a message to make sure that you are at the same page with the host. 

I don't want the uncomfortable and distressing news that "oh noooo only small dogs are welcome"

Or something like that. 

So take it as a nice thing that the guests wants to be honest and communicate with you about their loved pets.

Cheers 

@Susie111 Totally agree that there is nothing wrong with confirming: as the owner of two 85lb dogs, I always do as some people have size restrictions. It just seems odd that suddenly within a week, a bunch of people have asked if dogs are allowed at all. I have no issues talking to them about it: it's just odd, and I'm wondering what else they may be missing seeing.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Alexandra316, I just went to your listings and pretended to be a typical guest who, as we all know, just skims quickly. In doing so, it wasn't apparent to me that you allow dogs, although as you said if someone were to use the search function for 'pets allowed,' your space would appear. 

Personally, when I travel with my dog, I have a tendency to message a potential host just to double check that dogs are indeed allowed or if not, I'll mention it in my initial message to the host that "I'm coming with my 50-pound dog......" 

I would also, as others have mentioned, include in-text somewhere more prominent that dogs are permitted. 

Btw, have you had any issues with pets? I'm considering permitting pets on a case-by-case basis, but concerned about it. 

@John1080 the Sherkston property doesn't allow pets, which is why it's not included on that listing. I only allow dogs at the flat. 

Totally agree that there is nothing wrong with confirming: as the owner of two 85lb dogs, I always do as some people have size restrictions. It just seems odd that suddenly within a week, a bunch of people have asked if dogs are allowed at all. I have no issues talking to them about it: it's just odd, and I'm wondering what else they may be missing seeing.

I have largely had good experiences hosting pets: the only thing I'd say is leave paw towels and some old sheets to put on the furniture for guests. Be prepared to clean more due to the hair, and get a quality vacuum that can handle it. I would also consider charging a pet fee. I don't, because I mostly clean myself so I'm not paying for extra cleaning time. I also don't like the idea of requesting money after the fact. If Airbnb would just make it part of the process, I would charge something. 

@Alexandra316, it does seem odd that you've suddenly had a string of inquiries like that.  Yes, my fear as a guest is to show up with my dog and then there be some issue, so I usually confirm beforehand. I did once have a situation like this, where I inquired before and was told that pets were not allowed in that particular unit, when in fact the unit had popped up on a search filtered for 'dogs allowed'.

Thanks for the tips. The pet fee would be a must, as my cleaning bills are already quite expensive. I truly wish Airbnb would give us an option of collecting that in a more systematic fashion, instead of relying on requesting money. Just seems to silly. 

@John1080 definitely... I've seen a ton of hosts who have restrictions like the dogs need to be crated, or they only take dogs under 30 or 35 lbs, or dogs need to stay in a garage or basement, so I always ask for clarification. Hopefully people have that info in their rules, but you never know: like you, I don't want to take a  chance. 

I think the request to have a pet fee has to be the most commonly requested feature: really wish they would do something about it. 

Tracey207
Level 4
San Diego, CA

@Alexandra316 You are not alone! It’s not your imagination!

Unfortunately I have absolutely no answers for you, but exactly the same thing has been happening to me. And like you said, it’s only recently.

I’ve gone from having guests ask questions about their pets visit with us...to asking IF I accept pets.  I’ve been banging my head on the wall trying to figure this out. I’ve been unsuccessful. I gave up and changed my listing title to Include pets...which isn’t ideal but has stopped the ‘can I bring my pooch’ questions.

If you figure this out definitely let us (ME lol) know!

@Tracey207 Thanks Tracey! Glad to know I'm not going crazy. It just strikes me as a recent change, like over the past few weeks, and it does seem odd.

Those aren't the only odd questions either: I had a bunch of questions from my last two guests that were completely non-typical, and I wonder if guests are not receiving some of the messages. I got asked about Wifi info, check in times,  how to find our place, etc. which is on both the guest itinerary and my welcome message. It just feels really funny that after so long, these things are suddenly coming up. Again, it's not that I mind communicating with the guest and answering their questions: it's more me concerned about what information isn't going to the guest as part of the booking process.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Alexandra316

It is low season and the bottom of the barrel guests are knocking at our doors.

Classic manipulation:

Tenant: I love your place. Do you accept dogs?

Host: Yes

Tenant: Great I have an 80 lb pit bull who bites. 

Host: Ummm, no

Tenant: But you said you accept dogs!

I love pit bulls, I love big dogs. But I must respect the "standard" : One and only one, smaller, non-aggresive breed. It has nothing to do with the dogs, but the choices of the owner.

There's a reason. It has nothing to do with the dogs, but the people who choose

@Paul154 That hasn't happened yet (knock on wood!). The one that we have as a guest now seems to be a pomeranian and might tip the scales at 10 lbs if it was soaking wet. Maybe. The human half of the group was one of the guests who messaged me ahead to ask if we accepted dogs.

We do specify "well-behaved dogs", but that's pretty subjective, of course.