Changing a reservation request

Changing a reservation request

A confirmed guest requested a reservation change from two days to one.  My minimum stay is two days.  I denyed the change request and informed the guest that her change took her below my minimum number of days.  I also offered to return all her money.  She replied that she had requested the change more that a week in advance (which is not correct,  she requested the change on Saturday,  and her check-in date is Friday) and that I was obligated to accept her change request.   Thoughts from the community? First, I don't believe I'm required to accept her change,  but I'm also concerned that her current attitude might make this an undesirable rental.  I have never canceled a booking before, but I'm afraid if she doesn't cancel, I will be forced to.  HELP!!

3 Replies 3
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Lucinda24

There is certainly no obligation for you to accept the amendment and airbnb tells guests this from the help pages;

-If the host accepts your request, your reservation will be updated and you’ll be charged or refunded if necessary. If the request is declined or you don’t receive a response, your reservation will stay the same-

You can explain to your prospective guest that as the change indeed goes below your minimum booking that you can't accept it and leave the ball in their court whether they wish to cancel the booking in view of this or proceed.

Don't you cancel, can be penalties, contact airbnb if you feel it is unavoidable.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Lucinda24 No, you are never required to accept a change. Keep in mind that if you ask CS to cancel her on the basis of her poor attitude you will not be paid for any of her reservation regardless of your cancellation policy. Nonetheless, not having a grumpy guest could be worth it. And releasing her reservation may be your best bet at having a good two day reservation 

Shelley99
Level 2
Tampa, FL

I have a guest that checked in today. Everything going well and a few minutes ago I get a request to reduce his reservation by one day (from 3 nights to 2) and my minimum stay in s 3 nights. I am now concerned that if I don’t allow him to leave “break my rules” that he agreed to, booked with and checked it understanding, that he can do a chargeback, leave negative reviews falsely or God knows what..... what protections if any do I have against him staying in my home till Sunday and leaving and getting the money refunded? I’m so frustrated