Changing cancellation policy after sending a special offer

Roslyn0
Level 1
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Changing cancellation policy after sending a special offer

Hi there,

Can someone help me with the following? I sent a special offer for a long booking (6 weeks) which will be difficult to replace at short notice. My cancellation policy is normally at moderate (5 days) and was at the time I sent the special offer. But I have now changed it to strict, to reflect the difficulty I'll face in replacing the booking.

Can someone advise as to whether the change will be updated in the special offer sent prior to the change? Or whether I'll need to remove the special offer? And if so, how I do this?

Thanks everyone in advance : ) 

Roslyn 

4 Replies 4
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

I believe that the policy which you had set at the time of the enquiry would be the one that the guest will need to adhere to and the special offer cannot change this. I think what you would have to do is change your policy and then have the guest submit a new enquiry for your listing. You may also need to decline their first enquiry.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Roslyn0, In addition to Dave and Deb's comments, I would also have a Security Deposit.  It might not go into affect for this particular guest, but would be in place for future guests. 

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

@Roslyn0

Any reservation that is more than 28 days long, automatically goes on the "long term cancellation policy".  That happens for every host, regardless what cancellation policy they have set for shorter reservations.  This happens because as you point out, one can't easily replace such a reservation on short notice, and it is not fair to the host to have someone cancel that close to the date of arrival and get a full refund.  So the way the long term cancellation policy works, is that once a guest books, then if they cancel, regardless of when they cancel, you will always get paid 100% of the first month's payment.  THey can get the remainder of the reservation refunded if they give 30 days' notice, but they cannot get the first month refunded.  

See info on long term cancellation policy here:

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term

@Roslyn0,

What @Deborah0 said.  I was not thinking about the long term booking.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host