Changing the furniture in my bedroom-opinions please!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Changing the furniture in my bedroom-opinions please!

Hello wonderful cc people!

After 6 months of hosting, I have learnt a lot! The guest bedroom is a small double- I have never hidden the fact in my pics or the text in my listing. It is cosy for 2, but a few of my (2 guest booking) reviews mention size! - so I adjusted my pricing to be more attractive to single travellers, and this is working- I would say 90% of my guests now are flying solo which means they have more space to themselves and they are fine with the size.

Apart from 2 'longer' stays of 10 days, the bulk of my 45 completed reservations have been between 1-5 days so not very long, and I suppose not long enough to warrant unpacking.

I have a 3-drawer chest of drawers next to the bed, which only contains 3 items: a hairdryer, a first aid kit and some UK adaptor plugs. It doubles as a bedside table as I have a desk lamp and some vases etc on it (I can't find a pic to upload, so please have a look at the pics on my listing if you can be bothered!)

This morning I had a brainwave that I should get rid of the chest of drawers and replace it with a desk and a chair- it would still have the desk lamp on it to double as a bedside table, but I thought the desk would offer a usable versatile workspace, take up a smaller footprint (visually at least) and the chair would offer an alternative to just sitting on the bed when catching up with work etc etc.

My feeling is that guests would get more use from a desk/chair set up than the chest of drawers- would you all agree or not?

Here is a pic of the sort of set up I was thinking about:

desk shot.PNG

I'd love to have some thoughts from you all to help me make the right choice!

35 Replies 35
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Paul1255 As someone who travels frequently, I would say that a desk is more useful than a chest of drawers. I never unpack into a provided chest of drawers, even for longer stays. I personally much prefer a folding luggage rack: I keep all my small stuff in my case on the rack, and hang all the hangables. Not sure if you would have room for one in your space, but they are so very handy.  I purchase them from Amazon: they have some nice styles for reasonable prices.

Thanks @Alexandra316 there isn't much room for a rack- but as it's folding then guests can choose to use it if they wish, I could keep it folded under the desk and let them know about it when they check in. I will have a look online!

TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

@Paul1255 Yes, absolutely! I don't know about your area, but I get a lot of guests who come for job interviews and have specifivally recommened that they would appreciate a desk to work on their laptops. My smaller bedroom has a pullout bed and needs the floor space so this isn't an option unless I can figure a some sort of wall hanging fold out one or maybe push the bed out on the other side... And I am probably moving back to my larger bedroom, so that doesn't matter. If you can fit one, a desk desfinitelty has more utility than a chest of drawers! I believe the one in your picture is only $50 at IKEA. 

Thanks Tracie! can't see you to tag you. I tend to mainly have tourists- but since autumn I have had quite a few business people travelling for work meetings etc.

Indeed it's ikea, as is the chair- I thought they looked more expensive than they are, and they suit the stlye of my room.

For your space, they do one that is very slim, but the table element drops down to make the desk top when you want to use it- have a look on their site!

I liked that one too but it is quite tall so would block out some of my window.

@Paul1255 Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely look into it.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I aggree with @Alexandra316. Go for the desk with chair and it would be wise to get a folding luggage rack.

I used these ones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RTD14XI/ref=twister_B07K1VW745?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

@Emilia42 That's funny: that's exactly the same ones that I buy! They are nice.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Emilia! Can't see you to tag either! Cheers for the link- that looks sturdy and well-made.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Go for the desk @Paul1255. If not aiming for long term rentals, your space becomes more versatile and multifunctional. If you can go a little wider, than that allows for using as a vanity space as well. Stays homelike but work functioning as well....

Good thinking 99! 👍🏼

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Cathie- can't see your tag either so thumbing you all in the hope you see my replies!

Good thinking, this was a bit of my worry, that the space might look less homely and more work-like, but vanity space and maybe a little vanity mirror could be good.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Not sure anyone really uses desk - I'd vote big comfy chair; especially if lounge area is shared. That set of drawers does look very big for the space 😞

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Pete! I have a yellow cocktail chair it's nice to relax and have 5 cocktails in, I could always try that out in the space before ordering the desk and chair to get some feedback. Indeed the drawers are too big, I don't know what I was thinking at the time really ahaha

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Paul1255 I believe the desk is the way to go - it is very sweet for sure.......folks will use it - also do you have a guestbook? where they write feedback, stories and nice things??? Its the perfect place to place it and invite them to sit & rest a moment.  Since they don't have the living room to hang out in that chair will be just fine. Is that door the closet to hang their suits or work stuff? I hope so, if not I have installed a utility small rack to hang a few peices of clothing. It works perfectly and doesnt take up room since its on the wall.....let me know if you wanna see a picture. Its pipe, rustic look and you can add wood for a small shelf also. Happy hosting, Clara

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Clara116 thanks so much. No I don't have a guest book actually- but you're right this would be the ideal place to have it!

I wonder in your experience do guests write in the book and then still do an airbnb review?

Yes they can hang things in there, and the back of the door I have hooks and hangars too- but I do tend to have tourists on the main- with work travellers autumn time.

I would love to see a picture of your hanging rack please! and if you have any guest book recommendations too 🙂