Charge a higher security deposit for larger groups or should I be charging extra for more guests?

Janice175
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Charge a higher security deposit for larger groups or should I be charging extra for more guests?

Hi everyone, 

I have a query I can't seem to find a direct answer to in any other threads. I have a large house and do not charge a cleaning fee at all, and the price is the same regardless of whether it is 6 or 12 guests.

I set the booking total to be 12, however as the house can sleep 15 and guests can see this in the bedroom layout (which I would hesitate to change as the reason there are multiple beds in some rooms is so that singles are able to stay too rather than only couples wishing to share a bed). 

I've found an increasing number of parties are seeing this and then requesting (or just having) extra guests sleep at the house. This is another reason I hesitated to charge extra per guest, in case people just brought in the extra people after check in without my knowledge? 

So, I thought a solution may be to charge a higher security deposit for larger groups? 

Does anyone have any advice or previous experience with this sort of thing. I'd like to avoid the cleaning fee if possible as my friends have found when you do charge a cleaning fee, guests are much less respectful and clean themselves. However there is a big difference between laundry and cleaning for 6 and laundry and cleaning for 14!

Advice most welcome. Many thanks. 

4 Replies 4
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Janice175  I charge a cleaning fee and an extra guest fee of $20 per guest after 8 in my place that sleeps 12 and after 6 in my place that sleeps 10. Each additional guests costs you more in time and money, but at the rate you are charging over $500 USD a night I think you will lose bookings if you add either to your price. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Janice0

What you are  doing is correct charging for the maximum number of guests irrespective of whether it 12 or 6 guests.

I'd adopt a belt and braces approach and state MAXIMUM of 12 guests including any friends never to exceed a MAXIMUM of 12 persons in total..... Incase you get a Rave up!

Did you see the article in the press in June where a Knightsbridge flat for  £300 per nightvwasctitsllyvwreckef by actave taking place and the police had to be called to restore order!

Also to be ultra sure I would also ask for a  security deposit too.

All you need is just ONE rogue party of guests and you are totally stuffed.

Also consider instant book it gives you much more protection specifically if your description and house rules are crystal clear as many host reviews of guests are wishy washy, vague and not worth the paper they are written on.

Also have the London air bnb number on speed dial.

@Victoria567 wrote:

Hi @Janice0

What you are  doing is correct charging for the maximum number of guests irrespective of whether it 12 or 6 guests.

I'd adopt a belt and braces approach and state MAXIMUM of 12 guests including any friends never to exceed a MAXIMUM of 12 persons in total..... Incase you get a Rave up!

Did you see the article in the press in June where a Knightsbridge flat for  £300 per night was totally wrecked by a Rave, taking place and the police had to be called to restore order!

Also to be ultra sure I would also ask for a  security deposit too.

All you need is just ONE rogue party of guests and you are totally stuffed.

Also consider instant book it gives you much more protection specifically if your description and house rules are crystal clear as many host reviews of guests are wishy washy, vague and not worth the paper they are written on.

Also have the London air bnb number on speed dial.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Janice175@Letti0 I charge $650 a night peak season at my property that sleeps up to 10. I charge a cleaning fee and an extra charge for over 8 guests. I only leave out the number of towels for the guests that are paid for. I don't charge a lot extra - just enough to cover the extra laundry, and amenities used. I picked 8 as the magic number as that is the most common number of guests booked.

I didn't want to advertise a low rate for say 4 guests and then whack on a huge amount per additional guest as I think that is off putting for larger groups - and to be honest, apart from the laundry, whether 2 or 10 people stay everything has to be  cleaned anyway. But I did consider this option.

There is no perfect solution. Charging a lot for additional guests I believe causes guests to be dishonest about numbers, and if you are a remote host you can't police it. So go with what brings in the return you expect and don't worry about the rest. Sometimes you'll 'lose' on a sheet /towel or two, and sometimes you win. It averages out if you get your 'magic number' correct.