Charging for Early Check-In?

Charging for Early Check-In?

I recently changed the description of my listing to state that I would charge $25 to guests who want to check-in early or check-out late. 

Probably 60% of my guests either ask to check-in early or to drop their bags off so they can explore the city. It is actually a nuisance to deal with because it disrupts the cleaning process. I really did so in hopes that it would deter people from asking to check-in early, but if they really wanted to at least there would be some incentive for me to expedite the cleaning. 

Do you think this is a good idea, or do you think guest would think I am trying to nickel and dime them?

49 Replies 49
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

I think that the idea of adding an early check in option to the AirBNB Platform is a great idea. And make it so hosts can customize for their individual needs. 

Karen1651
Level 2
Conifer, CO

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

If there is a baggage lockers in your area-refer guests to them. It will save you from this baggage drop-off issue.

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Your question is valid as many guests will not understand the inconvenience or the risk of "just dropping off their bags", and will consider any fee a rip-off.  If you accept a fee that means you can do it, why not do it for free as part of the service?

I've been through this and it is a big hassle.  Once you've opened the door and inch they'll take a mile.  Had someone wanting to 'just get in to drop off luggage" *while the prior guests were still there at 8 am in the morning*.

- I would make it very clear when stating check in and check out times also say  "We can't store luggage on arrival or departure day".

- Maybe give a discount for booking an additional prior night or subsequent night if they want to arrive very early or leave very late.

- I always ask for flight info so I can see if this is going to be an issue.  If their arriving flight is early or departing flight is late I propose extra night at discount fee, if they don't want it I make it clear again we can't store luggage and can't guarantee earlier or late checkin-out.

- Of course if the apartment is clean and ready, or if I don't have same day turnaround on departure day, I let them arrive early or stay late for free but this is only confirmed the day before and depending on my cleaners workload and schedule.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

On an interesting side note, I just had a lady wanting to book from Sept 20-25. But she wanted to check in at 2 AM the morning of the 20th but didn't want to pay for what is essentially a late check in for the 19th. Because she would be checking in so late in the night, she didn't want to pay for it. *shrug*

@Stephanie365 wrote:

On an interesting side note, I just had a lady wanting to book from Sept 20-25. But she wanted to check in at 2 AM the morning of the 20th but didn't want to pay for what is essentially a late check in for the 19th. Because she would be checking in so late in the night, she didn't want to pay for it. *shrug*

In what hotel would this be possible?  Please tell me somebody!

Exactly.  I wished her good luck with that. But made it sound not snarky. 😉

I've had a few people make these requests as well.  "Can I check in at 7 am?" After I explain sure, but they'll have to pay for the night before, they're legitimately confused as to why since they 'aren't even sleeping there' the night before.  Not. How. It. Works!

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stephanie365 I guess if she didn't want to pay then she doesn't get it!

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

I have started charging Early Check-in and Late Check out service fees,   if circumstances permit. 

I contacted several hotels in my city and asked about their policies for early and late check and check out.  The large towering hotels downtown were unconcerned in the least: free and not a problem.  However, small hotels downtown it was a  different story :  could not offer it, or charged extra service fees.   

I've never been in a hotel, in a big city or otherwise, that lets you stay past the designated check out time for free!

Maxwell12
Level 2
Rosemead, CA

Hi all,

I am debating if i should charge a fee for early check-in. For the past 2 years i have been really flexible with early check-ins and late check outs (based on bookings of course). BUT my last 2 guests made me reconsider. The first guest comes checking in at 10AM ! luckily i didn't have anyone staying there! Then the second guest the following week asked if he can check in early and i agreed because the day was open. Guess what? he comes checking in at 3AM ! he came with his friends and they were just walking around in hooded sweatshirts. (My lot has 3 units). So after these past experiences I am going to enforce a fee

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Maxwell12 

Best to enforce a check-in/check-out time.....it's all very well to say if the property is free it's ok! What if an IB sneaks in, as they can do at the last minute from time to time.....you have shot yourself in the foot!

Guests will comply with rules ok when asked to, but they get annoyed with additional fees and you will no doubt cop some backlash in the review process if you start attempting to charge early/late fees!

Besides there is nowhere in the Airbnb program to allow for such fees, you would have to do it outside the platform and Airbnb do not encourage that, in fact they could de-list you for it!

Max, just stick to your guns, the time in the description is the only one you will entertain, if that's not acceptable, find another listing! You will be much better off mate!

Cheers.......Rob

Max,

I highly recommend you try the Schlage Encode Lock.  They’ve updated this lock and I consider it essential for issues like this one

You can control it via the Schlage app and add up to 100 codes.  You can add/delete codes right from the app.  I usually set the code as the last 4 digits of the guests phone number (easy to remember) and their code is only valid for the length of their stay

If a guest were to try and check-in at will, he or she will be denied until the time of the reservation.  I can not recommend Schlage Encode enough!

I use YALE Assure 2 smart lock and it works great for me; it generates codes and I can open/close on demand.